Laboromniavincit
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What is surfactant and what is it’s role in gas exchange
Doing ocr as biology
Please help
app_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
A liquid type substance that coats the alveoli in the lungs - it evaporates as we breath out
To prevent alveoli collapsing due to cohesive forces of water
Laboromniavincit
Rep:
(Original post by app_)
A liquid type substance that coats the alveoli in the lungs - it evaporates as we breath out
To prevent alveoli collapsing due to cohesive forces of water
You got to help me out with other queries please
exchange and transport topic is killing me
i want to enjoy learning this topic
app_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
ahaha. go for it, what other q's do you have?
Laboromniavincit
Rep:
Lung volume
Help
Any easy way to remember
app_
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
tidal vol = vol displaced per breath (think of it like the ocean waves coming in & out at regular intervals)
vital capacity = total air the can be moved by the lungs (I remember it bc it says capacity)
residual vol = remaining vol of air after forced expiration (residual = residue = remaining)

total lung vol = VC+ RV
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
As "software package" = app :confused: says, surfactant reduces the surface tension of the aqueous (= of water) film over the alveoli, and thus helps keep them inflated. During foetal life, surfactant can only be produced very late in the third trimester, so in babies born very prematurely, it may be absent or scanty, resulting in infantile respiratory distress syndrome. In such cases. the neonate (= newborn baby) will need to be kept in an incubator and supported with oxygen therapy and other measures.

M.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.77%
Okay (66)
28.95%
A bit lacking (85)
37.28%
Not good at all (57)
25%

Watched Threads