Abbie.c
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Heya, would it be possible to have some feedback on my speech? It's going to be the rough ideas for my actual speech and it was persuasive writing practise (even though I didn't explore the other side) many thanks!

```````````````

Love island. We are all acquainted with this show by some loose knowledge. Maybe it’s the headlines on breakfast television, maybe it's whispers in the streets of thin blonde babes on the screens. Yet we are all surely connected through at least an ounce of hatred for this “reality” television show.

This could be due to a variety of reasons but for many its the mixed messages the show portrays. For example, Love Island glamorizes the lives of young adults and makes fantasy out of relationships. As teenagers we are constantly exploring what the word “love” means, it could mean loving a man,woman or neither. Yet ITV believes relastionships are solely heterosexual where none of the relastionships - at least those televised - promote same sex couples. Therefore us confused and developing teenagers have nobody to relate to and the conversations become so closed off. Why is it always “when will you get a girlfriend joe” when it should be “is there anybody you’re interested in” ? The answer: ITV and the media as a whole neglect the LGBTQ community, when in reality it should be broadcast everywhere to educate the youth and create role models.

In addition to the representation of relationships, The show also sends extremely negative implications of consent. Girls are picked by men - and vice versa - to “couple up with”. These girls or men are unable to decline which portrays love as a forcible feeling as well as declaring to teenagers that we can’t say no. If somebody wants to be with us , Love island teaches that we don’t have a voice. If this mindset is instilled in us at such an age, we will grow up unable to share our voice which could prove detrimental in the future. As a result the show should allow contestants to choose whoever they like and make mutual decisions where each party are happy.

Love island also depicts beauty over brains despite being targeted at secondary school children. Body image and self love are already littered across social media showing the “perfect body”: stick thin with disproportionate hips.Only attainable by surgery. ITV totally compliments this ideology where the women are all unnatural , having boob jobs and liposuction which inform us , that's what we need to be pretty. That, as teenagers, we should alter ourselves for men to love us. ITV claim to show girls with a range of body types yet the most plus sized girl on the show was skinnier than me!

Not only are women's body types discriminated against I believe men have it worse. Many turn a blind eye to the harmful impacts of the media on men, but not me, not us. Have you ever seen a man on love island without a six pack? A man who doesn’t do modelling on the side? Or who doesn’t have thousands of instagram followers? No , because it they don’t exist in ITV’s eyes. Real men have “dad bods” and stubble or are thin and hairless. In reality there is no perfect body, only society’s perception of men and women that we strive to achieve, so love island should include more diversity in body types to teach teenagers that we are all perfect.

As well as promoting unreachable body types, the contestants are never filmed cooking or cleaning. Everything is done for them by workers, which is where we will be in 5 years time. Working. Not instagram models having men and women fawn over us, we will be educated, bright students who don’t need to rely on looks to be loved by everyone around us. We won’t have to focus on people loving us as we will be loving ourselves. This show has consumed the minds of many where more teenagers applied for the show than applied to oxford and cambridge combined. How would your parents feel? Girls, Do you want your lifestyle to be strutting around in skimpy bikinis until society deems you “too old” , or will you be a successful educated women earning a living.

Self love is a hazardous problem for those leaving the love island villa where two of the contestants have commited suicide from the social pressure after exititing. This is due to the lack of support they received from the show. After recent uproar ITV has included psychological help after the contestants leave to help them face the fame. However the late star Mike Thalassitis received no tribute in the 2019 show where ITV attempted to draw away from the fact that his death was a direct result from the show. In a world where teenagers are harming themselves due to what they see in the mirror, why isn’t the show promoting positivity instead of body shaming. Why doesn’t ITV focus on happiness instead of the drama consuming the contestants. If the show was more inclusive would the stars have committed suicide from the fame and backlash? Or would they still be alive now, making the world a better place.

All we do understand is that the world is changing and this show must change too. They will include more body types, more sexuality and provide more education if we make them.
lily.2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's outstanding! The vocabulary is great, but it might be a bit long. I'm not sure what board you're with, but just make sure that you don't get marks deducted if you go over a certain time period because remember you still have around 5 minutes of questions. Other than that, well done for writing such an amazing piece of writing on Love Island loll
Abbie.c
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by lily.2)
It's outstanding! The vocabulary is great, but it might be a bit long. I'm not sure what board you're with, but just make sure that you don't get marks deducted if you go over a certain time period because remember you still have around 5 minutes of questions. Other than that, well done for writing such an amazing piece of writing on Love Island loll
Thank you! It's AQA and Im pretty sure we have to speak for 5mins then a few questions. Even still It won't be exact since I have to break It up into flash cards (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed