MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could somebody please help me to understand when you're supposed to use the Student's T-test, Chi-squared test and Correlation Coefficient.

From what I understand:

T-test is used to compare 2 means (but i don't know if it can be used when there's more than 2 means?).

Chi-squared is used to compare observed and expected values, but sometimes it's not clear that observed and expected values are being used so I believe a correlation coefficient is appropriate rather than the Chi-squared test. I don't really understand when to use the correlation coefficient test.

Thank you very much for any responses.
Advertisement
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The student's T-test can only be used to compare two means, because the null hypothesis is: "The mean of X is equal to the mean of Y.".

I agree with you that it's very hard to tell when Chi-squared should be used in biology, but the way you can tell normally is: It uses frequency. Correlation coefficient questions will typically use numbers that aren't frequencies.
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Knortfoxx)
The student's T-test can only be used to compare two means, because the null hypothesis is: "The mean of X is equal to the mean of Y.".

I agree with you that it's very hard to tell when Chi-squared should be used in biology, but the way you can tell normally is: It uses frequency. Correlation coefficient questions will typically use numbers that aren't frequencies.
thanks a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (94)
27.98%
No (242)
72.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed