Pro Gamer 2003
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am 16 and I knew it’ll be difficult to get my first job. I’ve literally tried everywhere but always majority of emails say “unfortunately you’ve been unsuccessful.” I’ve had 3 interviews; Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Boots (In order) and Sainsbury’s didn’t comeback to me. Tesco came back to me after nearly 6 weeks (took 10 weeks for the whole application) and Boots came back to me after 10 days. All leading to the Christmas period. All the other places I’ve applied to such as Co-Op gave me an interview but I decided to go against this as it was 21.5 hours and the store isn’t opened on Sundays and would take me up to 45 minutes to get there. On Christmas Eve I had 5 emails saying I wasn’t successful. I tried to ask for feedback from Tesco and Boots. (Tesco said nothing at all and I tried 5 times emailing them nothing at all). (Called up boots 10 times left me on hold and I emailed the [email protected] and they said to call up the store when I did beforehand). I really want a first job before Easter so that I can help pay the bills, but new clothes and stuff for myself and save up for a car. I know people will say volunteer I’ve done that and still nothing at all. After Christmas I applied for probably 10 places two of them at my local Co-Op which said that other candidates scored higher than me and they decided to give them an interview and not me but I do have skills and behaviour to show that I am able to work at the Co-Op. I applied for Greggs they told me that I haven’t got the necessary experience I’ve only worked one week at a pharmacy. My careers centre are clueless and say that “oh it’s only this store you should get it.” The only job out there is McDonalds and my friend used to work there and said it’s trash. The shopping centre is very competitive and I really want to work at Primark and I’ve set my eyes on Primark as a lot of student work there and the pay is decent as a 16 year old. Unfortunately, they don’t have any jobs available at all and I blame myself for messing up the online assessment when I applied for a Christmas temporary job. I just really want a retail part time job at a big retail store. Such as Primark, Sports Direct or Argos. I’ve done volunteering and newspaper rounds. The place I’m at there’s local jobs at the airport but it’ll take me 45 mins to get there by bus and the jobs are 18. So Airport is a big no. I just really need the help of getting a part time job.
Leann:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
have you tried at cafes? i understand you would like to go into retail but if you start smaller then you can use it as stepping stones. also cafes are great fun as you can get a range of skills and get to know some amazing people. wish you the best of luck.
Racsoix
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll have a much higher chance of getting a job at a smaller shop. Go in there personally and hand them your CV, ask about if they have places available and make sure to stay in touch if they don't have any job vacancies at that particular time. If you've applied over a dozen times and still haven't received a job offer you need to take a step back and think about why. Is it your CV? Is it the fact that you don't have the relevant experience? Working in a bigger retail store may be better but you often don't get those bigger jobs without having done the smaller ones first. Build you way up and update your CV accordingly. It's always frustrating getting rejected but keep persevering, it really does show great resilience to future employers. Well done for trying; keep it up!
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Shouldn't have said no to co-op. Clearly you're in either a state of mind or a position where you don't need the work experience and money.
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leann:))
have you tried at cafes? i understand you would like to go into retail but if you start smaller then you can use it as stepping stones. also cafes are great fun as you can get a range of skills and get to know some amazing people. wish you the best of luck.
No cafes close to me are advertising.
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Racsoix)
You'll have a much higher chance of getting a job at a smaller shop. Go in there personally and hand them your CV, ask about if they have places available and make sure to stay in touch if they don't have any job vacancies at that particular time. If you've applied over a dozen times and still haven't received a job offer you need to take a step back and think about why. Is it your CV? Is it the fact that you don't have the relevant experience? Working in a bigger retail store may be better but you often don't get those bigger jobs without having done the smaller ones first. Build you way up and update your CV accordingly. It's always frustrating getting rejected but keep persevering, it really does show great resilience to future employers. Well done for trying; keep it up!
The thing is I just don't want to work at a shop its embarrasing and I want to work in a retail store like Primark, WHSmith or Argos
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Shouldn't have said no to co-op. Clearly you're in either a state of mind or a position where you don't need the work experience and money.
The thing is:
I am in full time eduction.
The job was 21.5 hours long.
I live 30-35 minute away by walking.
The Co-Op wasn't opened on Sundays and shuts down at 5:30 every single day i think.
I was checking how many hours I can do and it only added to 16 hours so I wouldn't have done 21.5 hours never mind overtime. So a NO was definitely the answer.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
your first job may not be your dream job. i know you don't want to settle for less than that, but it might be wise for your resume and it certainly won't kill you to spend a few months at McDonalds or something like that, just so you can have 'customer service' on your resume so you can apply for Greggs or whatever you think is a step up and they won't tell you that you don't have the necessary experience. speaking personally, my first job was at McDonalds and i got very good jobs after that. don't know who's telling you McDonalds is trash or small shops are embarrassing; whoever said that to you is a snob.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pro Gamer 2003)
The thing is I just don't want to work at a shop its embarrasing and I want to work in a retail store like Primark, WHSmith or Argos
Why is it embarrassing? Most people don't want to work in minimum wage, low skilled jobs for the rest of their lives but it's a stepping stone to move onto bigger things, it's a necessary evil to get experience, wages and references. There's nothing shameful about working anywhere, if anything it shows your dedication.

What work experience do you have?
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 month ago
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Primark is "embarrassing" too then..also it's highly competitive which is why you won't get in most likely. My girl supervises a department there and grieves about the interviews because often they're 100s of people each time..

At your age shops aren't embarrassing. Having no money and experience is embarrassing; like I said you clearly don't need those things then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (217)
33.8%
No (425)
66.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise