The Student Room Group

Hi TSR. I'm trapped on a rural mountain in China during this Epidemic. Sup?

As per the title.
I came to my friends village for the holiday. Now the government won't let us leave. Bored af.

Scroll to see replies

Yes it's very rural.
Unfortunately I don't speak the local dialect so the days are mind numbingly boring and frustrating.
Reply 2
Could you find some local students/ children who learn English and give some free conversation classes?
Do you have the pox?
Reply 4
Original post by YaliaV
Do you have the pox?

SophieSmallPox :biggrin:
Nah not really, after the 8th day she Just started sitting on her phone day. Mostly ignoring me.

I speak basic mandarin, but better and reading and writing. Not sure what the news is saying
Original post by ajj2000
Could you find some local students/ children who learn English and give some free conversation classes?

There's only about 8 children on the mountain all of very different ages who have 0 English foundation. So no not really
There is no TV, facilities here are very basic. Not even a shower. Definitely no newspapers. I'm the first foreigner to ever visit here apparently.

So far it looks like until February 9th, but it could be extended.

Yes I have a job to go back to 4 hours drive from here

They don't speak mandarin 🤣
There's a bathroom I wash in using a bucket.

No, it's a traditional village not a camp. It was great here at first, but it's started to take a toll due to the language barrier and feeling trapped.

I have only my phone and data, thank god for that.

Yes, my work legally have to follow what the government says, which is that we can't return until Feb 10th.
I cannot offer any advice other than to keep reading and looking at TSR.

Assuming you are genuine, it is interesting that a rural village in China has better access to the internet than some villages in the UK. This probably says a lot about the poor efforts of the UK governments to expand broadband everywhere (in the Uk) and their acceptance of BT and the mobile providers' poor service.
Original post by barnetlad
I cannot offer any advice other than to keep reading and looking at TSR.

Assuming you are genuine, it is interesting that a rural village in China has better access to the internet than some villages in the UK. This probably says a lot about the poor efforts of the UK governments to expand broadband everywhere (in the Uk) and their acceptance of BT and the mobile providers' poor service.

Haha thanks.

Yes this is genuine 😂 wish it wasn't.

It is shocking isnt it? No matter where I am in China I always have service.
The uks infrastructure sucks.
Haha yes, I suppose one day it might.

Yes, I've taken many pictures. My phone camera doesn't capture it very well though.

My cell plan is unlimited, only danger is it being slowed down.

Haha no, I work for English First
This is a fake story. I thought in the news there was a plane that went or is coming soon for only British citizens to evacuate?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hope5677
This is a fake story. I thought in the news they was a plane that went or is coming soon for only British citizens to evacuate?

Only people from the Wuhan area, it's not fake there are plenty of english people in china. One of my friends from uni is one of them
I'm not worried about the virus at all to be honest.

Haha nope, I'm definitely not buying a phone while I'm over here. Too annoying with the geo blocks.

Nope everyone is constantly on there phone because they can't go out.

It's good for the most part. I have some grievances with the company though.
This is a fake story. I thought in the news there was a plane that went or is coming soon for only British citizens to evacuate?

Haha, mate. Why would I bother with this as a fake story?

Only people from the province effected (Wuhan) were evacuated. And even then not all British people in Wuhan were able to get out.

I'm in Chongqing province.
Have they at least got alcohol?

Ah yes, one plane to cover the entirety of the country of China, one of the largest territories on earth.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Ah yes, one plane to cover the entirety of the country of China, one of the largest territories on earth.

A plane with triple floors should suffice. 1st class for blonde and blue eyed. Middle class for brunette with green eyes and coach for normal average looking
How are you spending your time?

There are tens of thousands of British people living in China, I don't think a couple of planes is going to bring them all home.

Quick Reply

Latest