English Language speech help please!

Watch
benparr232
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello guys in two weeks from now (second or third week of feb) i have 10% of my English language gcse which is to present a speech in front of my teacher and two of my friends. My teacher has chosen a topic for me which is mental health linked to fitness and diet. I honestly have no clue where to start and really need help on how i can structure it. I spoke to her about it, and she said I have to write about how fitness and diet can improve mental health for teenagers, but as i said i have no idea how to structure it. We have to use strategies such as rhetorical questions, tripling and quoting but i'm really stuck for what to do. If anyone could help i would be so grateful, thank you!!!
Last edited by benparr232; 9 months ago
emeraldbox
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Don't panic! I was so nervous for mine but it was fine in the end. Write it as if you were writing a speech in the Language paper but make sure to use terminology you can read and understand. I would go for an introduction, three body paragraphs and a conclusion. It doesn't have to be long at all. Then when it comes to presenting it, relax, talk slowly and clearly and you will be just fine. Hope it goes well x
CaramelCamel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I did my English language speech a couple of years ago so hopefully my advice will be helpful to you. Before I get into how to structure it, on the topic of including language features, do try to include them but you don't need loads of them because your speech should sound natural.

Start with a brief introduction that explains briefly what you'll talk about and the main themes you'll discuss (different studies you've researched, counter-arguments that you turn around to match the point of view you're putting across and possibly your own experiences and opinions as well).

Then, you'll need to deliver the main part of the speech - your main arguments. The poster above suggested 3 paragraphs/points, which I agree is a good idea. If you're struggling to decide what the points should be, you could have one paragraph on fitness and mental health (reference PE, sports clubs, studies by scientists etc), another paragraph on diet and mental health (dietitian's advice and the effect of certain artificial sweeteners and caffeine etc) and a final paragraph that either looks at a counter-argument or looks at cases of mental illness where the person has poor diet or fitness that seems to have directly led to their mental health issues.

The conclusion at the end should sum up everything you've said and bring all the arguments together.

I hope your speech goes well. I was really nervous when I did mine and I worried about my grade but I ended up getting a distinction so it worked out well in the end . I was worried about speaking in front of the class but remember that everyone else is in the same position, they won't be mean if you go wrong because they're worried about their own presentation. I don't think a lot of people even noticed that I made a few mistakes in mine...or that my hands were shaking as I held the paper.
benparr232
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Our teacher has told us to write a rough script of the first two minutes, with our main points and this is what i wrote. If you could possibly tell me what i am missing or could mention what i could take away that would be so helpful. thank you.

61% of 10 to 17-year-olds in the UK
have low self-esteem according to new
research

My name is Ben and I was one of them, I’m 14 years old and I am here today to speak about exercise and diet and how it can help mental health. I was inspired by this topic as back in September, I had what you could call a dark moment, I don’t know why but I felt down, depressed and demoralised.
I was coming home from school, doing nothing valuable with my time like going on my phone all night . Did you know the average teenager spends 6 hours 40 in front of a screen every day? Shocking!
I would eat poorly and would go to bed really late. It was not until after school one night, my dad asked me if I wanted to try going to the gym, he mentioned something called ‘endorphins’ what the hell are they?
Well I was about to find out…
I can truly say exercise and better nutrition has changed my life for the better in so many ways;
I now train 6 days a week this consists of:
Strength Training
Bodyweight training
Cardio

This Has made me feel:
Happier
My time has been better spent
I now have goals and ambitions

Research suggests that certain foods affect mood—for better or worse. Dietary changes can trigger chemical and physiological changes within the brain that alter our behaviour and emotions

According to a study on mentalhealth.org.uk, individuals who ate more fruit and vegetables were found to have increasingly higher levels of well being than those who do not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (44)
32.35%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
19.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
27.94%

Watched Threads