Do you need grade 6 in maths GCSE to do a level chemistry

Watch
Harryallo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m in year 10, I am predicted a 5 at GCSE at foundation level but in my end of topic tests I’m achieving 6/7 in my chemistry already do you think I would struggle to do Alevel chemistry and a degree in chemistry. Or is maths that important in chemistry.
Knortfoxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It depends. The first thing you should do is check your 6th form's requirements for chemistry. I know my school required a 6 in maths for any science, so you might not even be allowed to take chemistry next year.

The second question is which parts of maths do you struggle with? If you have bad grades because you struggle with geometry or mechanics or statistics you should be fine. If you struggle with things like algebra, you would probably struggle with chemistry.
Harryallo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Knortfoxx)
It depends. The first thing you should do is check your 6th form's requirements for chemistry. I know my school required a 6 in maths for any science, so you might not even be allowed to take chemistry next year.

The second question is which parts of maths do you struggle with? If you have bad grades because you struggle with geometry or mechanics or statistics you should be fine. If you struggle with things like algebra, you would probably struggle with chemistry.
The 6th form I am going to prefers to have a 6. The uni I want to go to wants at least a 4 in maths. Surely if I get high grades at GCSE 6/7/8 the 6th form are going to take me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (138)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my education (143)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
9.42%
Isolating with family (60)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (77)
8.74%
Loneliness (90)
10.22%
Financial worries (38)
4.31%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (78)
8.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (60)
6.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.19%

Watched Threads