Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently an F1 in London and am really not enjoying the job at all; I realise that it is going to be very difficult initially although Ive seen my seniors looking so demoralised on a daily basis, lack of resources for basic patient care and questionable practices alongside massive inefficiencies in the system. It seems to me that my seniors are just demoralised, burned out and have become so instiustionalised that they just cannot bother doing anything to address the lack of decent pay and working conditions in the NHS environment. I have been feeling demoralised since 2nd year of medical school and have felt like leaving although I do not know if it is the NHS environment or the medical profession itself that I do not enjoy. I love the patient interaction aspect of my job amongst a few others but just cannot bear the poor working conditions and lack of mentorship/guidance I have on a daily basis.

I am a dual UK and US citizen with a cousin who works as a junior doctor there at the moment and although my understanding is that the training hterfre is far far more intense, the training is hald the duration and pay much higher in the long term (I am looking to do internal medicine or even GP as these are known to be less competition with US graduates). In addition to that, I have recently received an offer for an internship at a healthcare consulting firm and after looking more into the company I am so tempted to accept although I would have to leave my F1 training at this stage. I am fairly certain I no longer wish to stay in the NHS; the training is far too long and I cannot cope with the poor working donations and pay.

I would just like some opinions; should I leave and go to consulting risking my job or pursue the US route and go through the USMLEs but go less than full time for F2 in order to prepare my application for this?
HHaricot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am currently an F1 in London and am really not enjoying the job at all; I realise that it is going to be very difficult initially although Ive seen my seniors looking so demoralised on a daily basis, lack of resources for basic patient care and questionable practices alongside massive inefficiencies in the system. It seems to me that my seniors are just demoralised, burned out and have become so instiustionalised that they just cannot bother doing anything to address the lack of decent pay and working conditions in the NHS environment. I have been feeling demoralised since 2nd year of medical school and have felt like leaving although I do not know if it is the NHS environment or the medical profession itself that I do not enjoy. I love the patient interaction aspect of my job amongst a few others but just cannot bear the poor working conditions and lack of mentorship/guidance I have on a daily basis.

I am a dual UK and US citizen with a cousin who works as a junior doctor there at the moment and although my understanding is that the training hterfre is far far more intense, the training is hald the duration and pay much higher in the long term (I am looking to do internal medicine or even GP as these are known to be less competition with US graduates). In addition to that, I have recently received an offer for an internship at a healthcare consulting firm and after looking more into the company I am so tempted to accept although I would have to leave my F1 training at this stage. I am fairly certain I no longer wish to stay in the NHS; the training is far too long and I cannot cope with the poor working donations and pay.

I would just like some opinions; should I leave and go to consulting risking my job or pursue the US route and go through the USMLEs but go less than full time for F2 in order to prepare my application for this?
I think considering part time f2 to do USMLE sounds like a reasonable plan, if you can go part time.
Don’t leave foundation without completing f1 tho, you may want a full licence in the uk in the future
fishfacesimpson
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree I think it's always useful to finish f2 and keep your options open. I would be very careful in assuming the USA system of training and health care is something you'd be happier with. Huge amounts of inequality in health care exists there and burnout etc are equally prevalent (maybe more?) there amongst trainees and fully trained doctors.

Consulting is a different path and more clinical experience is always helpful for this. Presumably you've spoken to people in the role already, if not you really should. If you can get it, an internship after F2 might be the happiest medium
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (19)
30.65%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads