Incident in Streatham declared terror Incident. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
An interesting interpretation of the history of the Conservative Party. :rolleyes:
Do you recall the counter-terrorism strategies and tactics of the Iron Lady's Conservative government deployed against northern irish paramilitary terrorists?
Thatcher is dead. Conservative supporters really need to get over her and move on.

Instead we have a modern Conservative Party that has eviscerated the police force and CPS over the last decade to the point that they can't do their jobs properly and made no serious attempts to toughen anti-terrorism legislation. It is an appalling track record of failure and what has happen today is the consequence.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Pretty sure you can rather easily draw the line straight back to what the UK/USA did in '03
Does that line go back any further or is this the revised beginning of history?
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)
Thatcher is dead. Conservative supporters really need to get over her and move on.

Instead we have a modern Conservative Party that has eviscerated the police force and CPS over the last decade to the point that they can't do their jobs properly and made no serious attempts to toughen anti-terrorism legislation. It is an appalling track record of failure and what has happen today is the consequence.
Prsom.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ascend)
Does that line go back any further or is this the revised beginning of history?
No this is just the beginning of the large uptick in radicalization with the burning down of an entire region?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)

It is rather mind boggling that this man was quite literally being watch by armed police and they still managed to let him stab a handful of people. One of the most appalling **** ups ive ever seen.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
That's pretty irrelevant.

As soon as someone makes the terrorist watchlist, they should be deported ASAP.
Usman Khan was British-born; to where would you have had him deported?
Last edited by Surnia; 3 weeks ago
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The conservatives just do not care. They've had years to change terrorist legislation, this was promised months ago after Usman Khan, and yet what do we have today? Another f*cker released early and stabs people.

And the tragedy is, would Labour do a better job? F*ck no. They would have released the prisoner even earlier !!!
They're both so utterly cr*p
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 3 weeks ago
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
The conservatives just do not care. They've had years to change terrorist legislation, this was promised months ago after Usman Khan, and yet what do we have today? Another f*cker released early and kills people.

And the tragedy is, would Labour do a better job? F*ck no. They would have released the prisoner even earlier !!!
They're both so utterly cr*p
Luckily no one has died.
williamho
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i do hope that the general public will also remember the London bridge incident.

when will the general public realise that something needs to change ?

that stabbing / violence does not solve problems but create more misery
and the so called terrorist mind and attitude needs to change for a better meaningful world.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Luckily no one has died.
thankfully, but they could have easily been. I've edited my passionate 4am rage
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 3 weeks ago
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Streatham Jihadi was sufficient risk to require an armed plain clothes MI5 officer to follow him, many people would say any Jihadi who needs to be physically followed should not be allowed to walk free on a high street on Sunday! . . . just imagine, he could have just run into a shop & grabbed a knife!

It has been suggested that MI5 allowed it to see who he met up with, clearly this strategy is high risk and failed.

Question to Muslims who say people like this are nothing to do with Islam . . . ok, wouldn't it help if true Islamists ensure that all people in jail for promoting terror in the name of Islam are told in no uncertain terms by Imams of the true faith that they are against Islam? This would send a clear message to all that Islam seeks to promote peace.
Last edited by NJA; 3 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is what happens under a Tory government, they fail to fund the systems that are supposed to keep us safe.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
The Streatham Jihadi was sufficient risk to require an armed plain clothes MI5 officer to follow him, many people would say any Jihadi who needs to be physically followed should not be allowed to walk free on a high street on Sunday! . . . just imagine, he could have just run into a shop & grabbed a knife!

It has been suggested that MI5 allowed it to see who he met up with, clearly this strategy is high risk and failed.

Question to Muslims who say people like this are nothing to do with Islam . . . ok, wouldn't it help if true Islamists ensure that all people in jail for promoting terror in the name of Islam are told in no uncertain terms by Imams of the true faith that they are against Islam? This would send a clear message to all that Islam seeks to promote peace.
Muslims have been doing that for years since 9/11. Surely, it gets tiring to always have to say that few idiotic terrorists don't represent the 1.2 billion muslims world wide.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
People have been serious injured and could have died. I don’t think it’s appropriate to make political point scoring points at this time.
When do you think it is best time to have a political discussion about the managed decline of the country?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
It is barking that this is allowed and possible under the current system.

Lots of talk about indeterminate sentences having been removed in 2012 under the Tories (because they were doing prison cuts and wanted to reduce pressure on space) and that's definitely an issue, but there is also the simple issue that this guy was released after serving only half his sentence. It appears that this is now normal, with no possibility of alteration no matter how extreme the ongoing threat from the criminal.

Again it is most likely that this is down to the need for higher expenditure after a decade or more of cuts to prison spending.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Maybe the surveillance on central London is now so intense that it's putting them off attacking there. Or maybe this pathetic deluded moron couldn't be bothered to catch a bus to carry out his deeply 'religious' acts against the Kafir.
The surveillance is pretty intense everywhere in London now, and in most of the big cities. It doesn't seem to be putting them off attacking London, this is like the 5th Islamic terrorist attack in the city in just the past few years? I've lost count at this point. It suprises me that we don't see any attacks in smaller cities and towns, where there is far less surveillence and less police to hinder them. I'm guessing they see it as more symbolic and impactful to attack the capital.

What concerns me is the increasing 'lone wolf' nature of a lot of recent attacks, not just here but across Europe. They seem to be very spontaneous with little to no prior planning, and that's worrying because whilst that kind of terrorism usually yields less victims, it is extremely difficult for the security services to detect and monitor before it's too late. Big attacks like 7/7 require a lot of planning, co-ordination, networking, gathering or resources and equipment, and thankfully they tend to draw the attention of the authorities to themselves, long before they get to carry out any attack. But how do you predict when somebody one day just get's it into their head to pick up a knife and start randomly stabbing people in the name of Jihad? You can't.
SoftGingerCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This stuff scares me so much. Why won't it stop? Why can't we make it stop?
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)

there was a whole team of operatives following this a-hole around the streets of London.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SoftGingerCat)
This stuff scares me so much. Why won't it stop? Why can't we make it stop?
Because we are at war and this increases the justification for radicalisation. Many gullible people can be swayed to see the UK as the enemy. As some are 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation British minorities, it is easy for them to feel connected to the “homeland” of their parents. It does not take much to show these naive people that this country is destroying the world.

We need to be more cautious and stop living in rose-tinted glasses and understand the damage that our Government does to these countries in our name. Yet, those same Government officials aren't the ones being attacked by radicals. It is the average Joe and Sally going about their business that get hurt because Tony Blair decided to invade Iraq because the Americans told him to do so.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wōden)
The surveillance is pretty intense everywhere in London now, and in most of the big cities. It doesn't seem to be putting them off attacking London, this is like the 5th Islamic terrorist attack in the city in just the past few years? I've lost count at this point. It suprises me that we don't see any attacks in smaller cities and towns, where there is far less surveillence and less police to hinder them. I'm guessing they see it as more symbolic and impactful to attack the capital.

What concerns me is the increasing 'lone wolf' nature of a lot of recent attacks, not just here but across Europe. They seem to be very spontaneous with little to no prior planning, and that's worrying because whilst that kind of terrorism usually yields less victims, it is extremely difficult for the security services to detect and monitor before it's too late. Big attacks like 7/7 require a lot of planning, co-ordination, networking, gathering or resources and equipment, and thankfully they tend to draw the attention of the authorities to themselves, long before they get to carry out any attack. But how do you predict when somebody one day just get's it into their head to pick up a knife and start randomly stabbing people in the name of Jihad? You can't.
This might have been an ISIS operation, there was the simultaneous attack in Ghent - we need to wait and see if more comes out about it. It does appear generally though that the Jihad has switched from big scale operations to encouraging solo disaffected Muslim youths to mad acts. This may be a 'good' thing in terms of their effectiveness as terrorists, but it's horrible for the people they injure and kill and their families and it is intolerable that the thousands of Islamist Jihadi youths apparently being tracked are free to wonder the streets.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads