The Student Room Group

How much maths is in a level chemistry.

I’m not the best at maths but I want to do chemistry at alevel do i need to be really good at maths
Reply 1
Maths and chemistry maths are nothing alike as in concept wise
The actual maths in chemistry is generally simple. It's the working out what the question is talking about and what numbers to use which is the hard part.
At A level I didn’t feel as if there was a lot of maths, personally. You could be average at maths and get away with it. However, my other subjects were heavy with maths so it would depend on what you consider to be “too much maths”
Original post by Hassan_mirza
At A level I didn’t feel as if there was a lot of maths, personally. You could be average at maths and get away with it. However, my other subjects were heavy with maths so it would depend on what you consider to be “too much maths”

I do foundation maths predicted to get is 5 the highest you can get is a 5 if you are not aware. Getting 6/7 in end of topic tests in chemistry. is there more maths than gcse chemistry or the same?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Harryallo
I do foundation maths predicted to get is 5 the highest you can get is a 5 if you are not aware. Getting 6/7 in end of topic tests in chemistry. is there more maths than gcse chemistry or the same?

I would say there is definitely more maths in A levels chemistry than GCSE chemistry
Original post by Harryallo
I do foundation maths predicted to get is 5 the highest you can get is a 5 if you are not aware. So is there more maths than gcse chemistry or the same?

The hardest maths in A-Level chemistry is rarely anything more than basic algebra, however, there is an equation that would be easier to understand if you have the knowledge of logs which is an A-Level only topic (your teacher should tell you what you need anyway so shouldn't matter).

Quick Reply

Latest