CeeJayW
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey, I'm currently in year 11 and think I'd like to go to Cambridge to study engineering or maths, but i'm worried that my current GCSE grades will prevent this. These were my mock results:
Maths: 8
English literature: 9
English language: 9
Physics: 9
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 8
Spanish: 7
Drama: 8
History: 9
RE: 9
Music: 4
I'm so worried that my music grade will ruin my plans. For A levels i'm planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English literature.
Can anyone help me put my mind at rest?
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They are strong so i dont know why you are worried about. Just focus on getting those grades and focusing on getting that 4 up. Remember Cambridge has less emphasis on gcse than oxford and other unis
CeeJayW
Rep:
?
PetitePanda Thank you! I don't think I will be able to get it up, because i'm joint highest in my class and the department in my school is terrible. I'm lucky to be getting a four really. Do you think it will be an issue if i don't?
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CeeJayW)
PetitePanda Thank you! I don't think I will be able to get it up, because i'm joint highest in my class and the department in my school is terrible. I'm lucky to be getting a four really. Do you think it will be an issue if i don't?
I still dont think it will because it doesnt relate to your course and they consider your school context but im not sure on specific subjects. However, they wouldn't overlook any of your gcse grades and application because of this one grade.
CeeJayW
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I still dont think it will because it doesnt relate to your course and they consider your school context but im not sure on specific subjects. However, they wouldn't overlook any of your gcse grades and application because of this one grade.
Thank you! I hope not
Marcus...
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Someone wasn’t the best at music, were they now?
MrGuillemot
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by CeeJayW)
Hey, I'm currently in year 11 and think I'd like to go to Cambridge to study engineering or maths, but i'm worried that my current GCSE grades will prevent this. These were my mock results:
Maths: 8
English literature: 9
English language: 9
Physics: 9
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 8
Spanish: 7
Drama: 8
History: 9
RE: 9
Music: 4
I'm so worried that my music grade will ruin my plans. For A levels i'm planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English literature.
Can anyone help me put my mind at rest?
Cambridge really do not care about GCSEs, let alone GCSE music when you want to study maths or engineering. You're probably better off trying to push that 8 in maths up to a 9 honestly. Music GCSE really will not make any difference to a maths or engineering Cambridge application.
Levi.-
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MrGuillemot)
Cambridge really do not care about GCSEs, let alone GCSE music when you want to study maths or engineering. You're probably better off trying to push that 8 in maths up to a 9 honestly. Music GCSE really will not make any difference to a maths or engineering Cambridge application.
tbh unis see 8s and 9s as the same but someone wanting to study maths at cambridge will need to find GCSE maths easy as hell, even in year 11 tbf - A* in a-level maths and further maths along with strong STEP 2 & 3 scores means OP is gna have a hard timeeee
CeeJayW
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrGuillemot)
Thank you, that's really reassuring. A lot of my mates who I'm doing better than overall keep saying it will ruin my chances at it, when they're not even thinking of doing the same subjects as me. I'm predicted a 9 and was only a few marks off in maths, so i should be able to
aloosemoose
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
don't worry about it, its 60% composition
Last edited by aloosemoose; 2 months ago
CeeJayW
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marcus...)
Someone wasn’t the best at music, were they now?
Honestly i'm second highest in my class. The department at my school is terrible- all of us are doing badly so It's really not surprising 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (142)
15.81%
Uncertainty around my education (146)
16.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (86)
9.58%
Isolating with family (61)
6.79%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.67%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (79)
8.8%
Loneliness (90)
10.02%
Financial worries (38)
4.23%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (81)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
6.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (81)
9.02%

Watched Threads