The Student Room Group

Quitting sixth from for an apprenticeship

Hello, any advice at all would be extremely welcome:

So hence the title I am very interested in quitting sixth form and starting an apprenticeship. I am currently in year 12 (february) and studying alevels which I hate.

I have always been traditionally ‘smart’ I achieved very high grades at gcse and am already achieving As at alevel. I am not stating this to brag just to emphasise that I am not making this decision lightly as I know that I could do extremely well at sixth form but even though I am ‘good’ at school, I hate the system. My mental health is rapidly deteriorating and honestly I am scared to keep going to school because it is having such a negative effect on me. I also don’t think what I am currently doing is extremely useful to my future because I do not want to go to university and instead I want to be a real estate agent.

I probably should never have gone to sixth form but I was never told anything about apprenticeships which is why I need advice because I am still clueless. Is there an option for me to do an apprenticeship in real estate/property and which type of apprenticeship would be equivalent to a levels / suitable for a 16 year old?

Where can I apply for apprenticeships and is it difficult? I live near London and could commute into London.

Also if anyone knows anyone who has themselves quit sixth form to pursue an apprenticeship, what has their experience been like? Will an apprenticeship be useful in the future? Or are a levels more beneficial? (Considering I want to be a real estate agent)

Thanks.
As much as you say you hate it, in my honest opinion i think it would be better for you to do the A-levels first then go for an apprenticeship. So at least if that falls through you have something to fall back upon. I mean you might not like it now but maybe in the future it may become something that helps you
Original post by Kate Phillip
Hello, any advice at all would be extremely welcome:

So hence the title I am very interested in quitting sixth form and starting an apprenticeship. I am currently in year 12 (february) and studying alevels which I hate.

I have always been traditionally ‘smart’ I achieved very high grades at gcse and am already achieving As at alevel. I am not stating this to brag just to emphasise that I am not making this decision lightly as I know that I could do extremely well at sixth form but even though I am ‘good’ at school, I hate the system. My mental health is rapidly deteriorating and honestly I am scared to keep going to school because it is having such a negative effect on me. I also don’t think what I am currently doing is extremely useful to my future because I do not want to go to university and instead I want to be a real estate agent.

I probably should never have gone to sixth form but I was never told anything about apprenticeships which is why I need advice because I am still clueless. Is there an option for me to do an apprenticeship in real estate/property and which type of apprenticeship would be equivalent to a levels / suitable for a 16 year old?

Where can I apply for apprenticeships and is it difficult? I live near London and could commute into London.

Also if anyone knows anyone who has themselves quit sixth form to pursue an apprenticeship, what has their experience been like? Will an apprenticeship be useful in the future? Or are a levels more beneficial? (Considering I want to be a real estate agent)

Thanks.

Hi Kate,

It's great that you're looking into doing an apprenticeship!

I would first like to say that this is the most useful tool for finding apprenticeships - https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch , you can also use things like reed, indeed etc.

Real estate apprenticeships will normally offer GCSE equivalent but that does not mean to say that you won't find a level equivalents (advanced apprenticeships). You will normally get a vocational qualification(s) from an apprenticeship (such as an NVQ) but some offer academic qualifications as well (such as BTECs) but this is unusual with real estate apprenticeships.

I second Lani's opinion when he says it is beneficial to finish your a-levels so you have a fallback but if college is really depressing, you should definitely consider dropping it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending