The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Modelling your essays based on others, regardless of the mark, is a poor practice. There's a reason AQA probably keep a lot of this stuff hidden.
Reply 2
Original post by Tolgarda
Modelling your essays based on others, regardless of the mark, is a poor practice. There's a reason AQA probably keep a lot of this stuff hidden.

"Model" may have been the wrong word. I want to learn some key phrases, how to structure my essays, the writing style etc., not copy it completely
Do you read on sites like:

Google books
Google scholars
Academia
Researchgate

Othello should be a tragic play or problem play (can’t really remember). You can start by reading up the features of each and seeing which one fits what you’ve read. Then, you can look for quotes that match each feature, if you like. Check out those sites, they’re really helpful
Reply 4
Original post by chloenix
"Model" may have been the wrong word. I want to learn some key phrases, how to structure my essays, the writing style etc., not copy it completely

Yeah, I thought you meant that. It doesn't help much.
Reply 5
Original post by Designeddeath
Do you read on sites like:

Google books
Google scholars
Academia
Researchgate

Othello should be a tragic play or problem play (can’t really remember). You can start by reading up the features of each and seeing which one fits what you’ve read. Then, you can look for quotes that match each feature, if you like. Check out those sites, they’re really helpful

I've never thought of that before and that's so helpful, thank you!
Reply 6

Well I clearly need to do something seeing as I have no idea what a good essay looks like and don't know how to write my own.

For some people it really does help them
I'm currently studying Othello at A Level (Year 12) and I would like to find an exemplar essay to model mine after. Specifically, I am looking for an extract question, and I can't seem to find any extract questions online.

There's one exemplar on the AQA website, but it's not an extract questions and I've already looked at it anyway.

If you could help, that would be great. Thanks :smile:

I agree with you. I’m doing AQA English Lit A-Level and I have no evidence of the type of essay the exam board actually want. All I have is my teachers’ judgement, which based on the fact we only got 2 A*s in last years’ A-Level, is not promising. Having a sampler essay would be useful.
(edited 4 years ago)
I've never thought of that before and that's so helpful, thank you!

You’re welcome. A good essay is usually in this format (at least this is how I wrote mine in my undergrad years):

- intro: here I’d let the reader know what I plan to do in the body of the essay, I usually state whether I undermine or support the theme of the question here. I don’t ever let it go longer than the first page as I MUST start my second paragraph on that same page.

Body: I’d just explain with facts from the text why I choose what I chose. I usually make sure I know at least 6 quotes from a drama text and at least 3 quotes from critics. The quotes from the critics are what I use to support my opinion. If it’s a poem, I usually learn all the lines and each paragraph is for a stanza. My number of paragraphs usually depend on how long I plan to write.

Conclusion: here, I let the reader know in summary what I’ve done and in a way, propose a kind of “further research”. I usually end it with a quote or a question.

Also, most of the time, before I start my essay, I usually indent some of catchphrase. Your intro is really important as you need to make your reader engrossed in your work.

If it was hamlet, Macbeth, king Lear, Julius Caesar, Twelfth night or merchant of Venice, I may have been able to help.

Sorry for any typographical, grammatical or syntactical errors.
Reply 10
Original post by Designeddeath
You’re welcome. A good essay is usually in this format (at least this is how I wrote mine in my undergrad years):

- intro: here I’d let the reader know what I plan to do in the body of the essay, I usually state whether I undermine or support the theme of the question here. I don’t ever let it go longer than the first page as I MUST start my second paragraph on that same page.

Body: I’d just explain with facts from the text why I choose what I chose. I usually make sure I know at least 6 quotes from a drama text and at least 3 quotes from critics. The quotes from the critics are what I use to support my opinion. If it’s a poem, I usually learn all the lines and each paragraph is for a stanza. My number of paragraphs usually depend on how long I plan to write.

Conclusion: here, I let the reader know in summary what I’ve done and in a way, propose a kind of “further research”. I usually end it with a quote or a question.

Also, most of the time, before I start my essay, I usually indent some of catchphrase. Your intro is really important as you need to make your reader engrossed in your work.

If it was hamlet, Macbeth, king Lear, Julius Caesar, Twelfth night or merchant of Venice, I may have been able to help.

Sorry for any typographical, grammatical or syntactical errors.

wow this was actually so helpful! your advice has been great, thank you xx
wow this was actually so helpful! your advice has been great, thank you xx

Glad I could help. You’re welcome! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Gwil
Hi! :smile: Are you doing AQA A, Love Through the Ages? If so, I can happily send you one of my essays. I did the exams last summer and got an A* in the end.

Of course, it's important to remember that there isn't one single technique that will get you a high mark, so you should treat any exemplar essay as an example to examine, not a model to guide you, but I think you know that.

No I'm not doing Love Through the Ages unfortunately, I'm doing Tragedy and Crime.
Thank you so much for the offer though, that was really sweet of you :smile:
Original post by Gwil
Hi! :smile: Are you doing AQA A, Love Through the Ages? If so, I can happily send you one of my essays. I did the exams last summer and got an A* in the end.

Of course, it's important to remember that there isn't one single technique that will get you a high mark, so you should treat any exemplar essay as an example to examine, not a model to guide you, but I think you know that.

If you could send it to me, however, that would be brilliant x
Reply 14
Original post by Marcus...
If you could send it to me, however, that would be brilliant x

Of course :smile:

No I'm not doing Love Through the Ages unfortunately, I'm doing Tragedy and Crime.
Thank you so much for the offer though, that was really sweet of you :smile:

Ah, sorry I couldn't help. Best of luck with your studies!
Hi sorry I’m late to the thread but I’m in year 12 and struggling to do these essays especially as we have no school now, is there any chance you would mind sending me one of your example essays?
Reply 16
Original post by Lydz12345
Hi sorry I’m late to the thread but I’m in year 12 and struggling to do these essays especially as we have no school now, is there any chance you would mind sending me one of your example essays?

Hi there! You'll have to tag Gwill for her to see your comment :smile:
Hi there! You'l

Original post by Gwil

@Gwil
Any chance you can send me some?
Reply 18
@Lydz12345 & @FlickaLG - Sent to you both :smile:
Original post by Gwil

Could you please send them to me ,I’d really appreciate it x

Latest

Trending

Trending