Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you fail half your modules in year two but pass the remaining ones are you able to progress to third year and redo the failed modules or do you just fail the year as a whole?
Gncy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think, at my uni, the rule is that you can pass if you fail one module and you are allowed to retake it during the next academic year. If it's exams, you can retake them over the summer and if you pass, you can progress. I'm not sure how it works at your uni, though, it might be a bit different.

I failed pretty much all my modules in year one and decided to interrupt for a year as I was not well enough to stay at uni and retake my first year straight ahead. I interrupted in June, as soon as I finished my first year, and then contacted my programme convenor after a few months, I think it was either in December or January. Anyway, we met up and talked about my situation and I asked if there was any way I could redo my assignments and retake my exams without actually repeating my first year. She then talked to her supervisors and I was allowed to just redo all that stuff without redoing my first year. So, I failed the year but I was still able to redo my assignments and retake my exams and then come back to do my second year.

I don't know if this helps or even answers your question but I would say, maybe try speaking to someone at your university, a programme/module convenor or a personal tutor? Maybe you'll be allowed to just redo your assignments or retake your exams over the summer, sort of like I did, without having to repeat half/all of your modules.

Also, again, I don't know if your uni does this, but at mine you can do a part-time repeat. My programme convenor asked if I would be interested in that and I said I would rather just redo my assignments and retake my exams, but it is an option. It would basically mean only redoing the modules that you failed rather than all your modules. So you would still have to go to lectures and all that and would have to pay tuition fees for that year.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Gncy)
I think, at my uni, the rule is that you can pass if you fail one module and you are allowed to retake it during the next academic year. If it's exams, you can retake them over the summer and if you pass, you can progress. I'm not sure how it works at your uni, though, it might be a bit different.

I failed pretty much all my modules in year one and decided to interrupt for a year as I was not well enough to stay at uni and retake my first year straight ahead. I interrupted in June, as soon as I finished my first year, and then contacted my programme convenor after a few months, I think it was either in December or January. Anyway, we met up and talked about my situation and I asked if there was any way I could redo my assignments and retake my exams without actually repeating my first year. She then talked to her supervisors and I was allowed to just redo all that stuff without redoing my first year. So, I failed the year but I was still able to redo my assignments and retake my exams and then come back to do my second year.

I don't know if this helps or even answers your question but I would say, maybe try speaking to someone at your university, a programme/module convenor or a personal tutor? Maybe you'll be allowed to just redo your assignments or retake your exams over the summer, sort of like I did, without having to repeat half/all of your modules.

Also, again, I don't know if your uni does this, but at mine you can do a part-time repeat. My programme convenor asked if I would be interested in that and I said I would rather just redo my assignments and retake my exams, but it is an option. It would basically mean only redoing the modules that you failed rather than all your modules. So you would still have to go to lectures and all that and would have to pay tuition fees for that year.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for quick reply - honestly really good advice and I'll get in touch with my uni mentors. My only apprehension is that I'm already doing my second year on a repeat and I'm kinda panicking about it all being for nothing Just as second semester is starting I'm wondering if there's no point trying to do rest of modules if I'm already past point of no return :/
Gncy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for quick reply - honestly really good advice and I'll get in touch with my uni mentors. My only apprehension is that I'm already doing my second year on a repeat and I'm kinda panicking about it all being for nothing Just as second semester is starting I'm wondering if there's no point trying to do rest of modules if I'm already past point of no return :/
No worries! Definitely speak to someone, explain your situation and ask what options you have. One of my friends is actually doing his fifth year of a three year undergrad course now (passed his first year, failed his second year, redid and passed his second year, failed his third year and is now redoing his third year) and is still getting student finance even though, technically, you are only allowed to get four years worth of it - and that just shows that sometimes you can bend the rules a little bit I mean, technically, I shouldn't have been allowed to redo my assignments and retake my exams without repeating my first year but my programme convenor fought really hard to make sure that I was able to do it. I understand that retaking a year can be quite stressful and disheartening. All I'm saying is that I think it's always worth asking for help and considering different options because, honestly, your tutors do genuinely want to help you and they will do their best to support you in whatever way they can. Again, I'm not sure if your uni does this but mine has student welfare officers and you can basically go and speak to them about anything and they can also offer a lot of support if you don't wanna speak to one of your tutors. Good luck!! I'm sure it's all gonna turn out okay
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Gncy)
No worries! Definitely speak to someone, explain your situation and ask what options you have. One of my friends is actually doing his fifth year of a three year undergrad course now (passed his first year, failed his second year, redid and passed his second year, failed his third year and is now redoing his third year) and is still getting student finance even though, technically, you are only allowed to get four years worth of it - and that just shows that sometimes you can bend the rules a little bit I mean, technically, I shouldn't have been allowed to redo my assignments and retake my exams without repeating my first year but my programme convenor fought really hard to make sure that I was able to do it. I understand that retaking a year can be quite stressful and disheartening. All I'm saying is that I think it's always worth asking for help and considering different options because, honestly, your tutors do genuinely want to help you and they will do their best to support you in whatever way they can. Again, I'm not sure if your uni does this but mine has student welfare officers and you can basically go and speak to them about anything and they can also offer a lot of support if you don't wanna speak to one of your tutors. Good luck!! I'm sure it's all gonna turn out okay
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads