The Student Room Group

Social work - funding/workload

Hi everyone! I am (hopefully) going to be starting a postgraduate social work course this September. I realise that SW programmes are pretty intense, what with the placements and everything else. I also know that you can get a bursary or a postgraduate loan, however, I've heard of people who were offered the bursary and decided to go for the loan because the bursary didn't even cover their fees. I don't really fancy going into more debt so I'm not even considering getting the loan. I am not sure how realistic it is for me to even think that I can get through two years of a masters programme, though, without a loan (and the bursary is not even guaranteed but anyway)... Are there any postgrad SW students here who got the bursary, not the loan? How are you balancing your workload and potential part time work? Do you even have the time to work during the academic year? Or do you only work over the summer? I would really appreciate it if people could share their experiences. Thank you!
Hey, I am postgrad about to finish my final placement. I got the bursary and they pay £4500 towards your fees and £6000 to you and you can pay the remainder of the fees out of this so don't worry about the fees! The workload is what you expect of a qualified social worker just you have a capped caseload but you still have the full-time position to fulfil. I planned to keep my part-time job but it got too much when I was doing 60 hour weeks! Hope that helps a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by st4ywithem
Hey, I am postgrad about to finish my final placement. I got the bursary and they pay £4500 towards your fees and £6000 to you and you can pay the remainder of the fees out of this so don't worry about the fees! The workload is what you expect of a qualified social worker just you have a capped caseload but you still have the full-time position to fulfil. I planned to keep my part-time job but it got too much when I was doing 60 hour weeks! Hope that helps a bit.

Ah, I didn't notice your response, hence my reply being a month late. This was really helpful though, thank you! I was hoping to keep my part time job but after reading what you've said and hearing about other people's experiences, I've realised that's pretty much impossible. If you don't mind my asking, did you work during the months you didn't have placements? Or was it pretty much full on from the start, even without the placements?
Original post by Gncy
Ah, I didn't notice your response, hence my reply being a month late. This was really helpful though, thank you! I was hoping to keep my part time job but after reading what you've said and hearing about other people's experiences, I've realised that's pretty much impossible. If you don't mind my asking, did you work during the months you didn't have placements? Or was it pretty much full on from the start, even without the placements?

I might be able to answer this - I personally did work whenever I wasn't on placement, at a part time job around my lectures. However, on placement, it is basically impossible to have another job. You may be able to keep your job until it comes to your first placement - depends on their teaching/uni attendance timetable.
Reply 4
Hi finally hear MA Student! Defo would go for the bursary! With the postgrad since it is two years you only get about 10k where you have to cover the rest yourself!

Workload is hefty but manageable I work 14hrs on the weekend part time whilst having placement and university. Not sure where you applied! But I guess you just have to make the time when you can but does get overwhelming at times!
Hi guys quick question. If the university dont select you for the social work bursary. Can you then definitely get the student finance loan instead?

Student finance are saying that if you are eligible for the bursary and dont get chosen for it then you cant get the student finance loan instead?

However, if you arent eligible for the bursary at all then you can go ahead and apply for the post grad loan.

Everyone I speak to has a different opinion. Does anyone have any idea or has anyone not been chosen for bursary despite eligible, and then gone on to recieve the post grad loan?

Cheers guys :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by heatherclarky
Hi guys quick question. If the university dont select you for the social work bursary. Can you then definitely get the student finance loan instead?

Student finance are saying that if you are eligible for the bursary and dont get chosen for it then you cant get the student finance loan instead?

However, if you arent eligible for the bursary at all then you can go ahead and apply for the post grad loan.

Everyone I speak to has a different opinion. Does anyone have any idea or has anyone not been chosen for bursary despite eligible, and then gone on to recieve the post grad loan?

Cheers guys :smile:

If u get bursary no student finance loan if you don’t get bursary you apply for student finance loan post grad

Quick Reply

Latest