adchaya_m
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically i'm in a bit of a sticky one
Atm the a levels i put down are : maths,govpol,geo
but if go to another skl near me i could do four a levels ( maths,govpol,geo and history) and drop one in yr 13
BUT ik the staff at my school are pretty good for these subjects so it worth taking that risk to move to a whole new school with staff who might be a bit ****e just because i find all 4 subjects interesting?
hallaluliah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why don't u switch gov&politics with history that'll be a stonger combo, anyways i guess u could go to another school as even though techers are important its all down to ur study/ motivation. i think you should move if ur desperate to do all 4 of those a levels, consider travel too
adchaya_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallaluliah)
why don't u switch gov&politics with history that'll be a stonger combo, anyways i guess u could go to another school as even though techers are important its all down to ur study/ motivation. i think you should move if ur desperate to do all 4 of those a levels, consider travel too
at this point, i'm really indecisive between govpol and history but am leaning towards govpol a bit more as i think it might help me in the future as i want to work in fbi/mi5
hallaluliah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by adchaya_m)
at this point, i'm really indecisive between govpol and history but am leaning towards govpol a bit more as i think it might help me in the future as i want to work in fbi/mi5
go for it, history is apparently tougher and reallllly hard compared to gov&pol
adchaya_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallaluliah)
go for it, history is apparently tougher and reallllly hard compared to gov&pol
thanks for the advice
pinesandapples2001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you really want to shift to a whole new school though? If I were in your position the cons outweigh the pros of moving, but ofc final decision is only in your hands
Dancer2001
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you completely happy at the school you’re at? I could have stayed at my school, but I moved for sixth form and I’m really glad I did. Nothing was going particularly badly before, but having a new start with new teachers really helped me do better in A levels. Starting with 4 subjects is also a really good idea if you’re not completely sure what you want.
I would have notes on your phone where you write down every question you ever think of about the new school, then try to get them all answered before you decide in August. Did you like it at the open evening?
Nooreo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want my opinion, I would stay in your current sixthform especially if you say you find the subject teachers good. A Levels are stressful as it is and adding to this by moving colleges is unnecessary (but that's only how I feel). As for having the option of doing an AS level, I personally did one but felt that I compromised my revision for other subjects because I had a whole extra subject to worry about. If I were to redo my A levels I would only take 3 subjects and have more time to focus on them. Unless it is essential that you take the subject your school doesn't offer and hence would need to move colleges, I would advise against it and say stick to your current college. However, everyone is different and you may be someone who finds it beneficial to change schools for a 'fresh start', it all depends on you.
adchaya_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Are you completely happy at the school you’re at? I could have stayed at my school, but I moved for sixth form and I’m really glad I did. Nothing was going particularly badly before, but having a new start with new teachers really helped me do better in A levels. Starting with 4 subjects is also a really good idea if you’re not completely sure what you want.
I would have notes on your phone where you write down every question you ever think of about the new school, then try to get them all answered before you decide in August. Did you like it at the open evening?
I missed the open evening as I didn't know when it was going to take place,but i think i might try out writing down a few questions about my new school and finally decide then.Thanks for the advice!
adchaya_m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nooreo)
If you want my opinion, I would stay in your current sixthform especially if you say you find the subject teachers good. A Levels are stressful as it is and adding to this by moving colleges is unnecessary (but that's only how I feel). As for having the option of doing an AS level, I personally did one but felt that I compromised my revision for other subjects because I had a whole extra subject to worry about. If I were to redo my A levels I would only take 3 subjects and have more time to focus on them. Unless it is essential that you take the subject your school doesn't offer and hence would need to move colleges, I would advise against it and say stick to your current college. However, everyone is different and you may be someone who finds it beneficial to change schools for a 'fresh start', it all depends on you.
First of all,thanks for the advice!
I was going to take the following : maths,geo,govpol
My current school has a strong govpol and geo department however,my maths department is a bit of a hit or miss-a few of my elder friends have both their teachers in maths not being so great and as I don't particularly love maths,am afraid it would put me off it fully.(I decided to take maths and I know its a generally useful a level to have and if i fail to do well in my chosen career,could always revert back to my maths a-level.) For GCSEs i have a maths tutor and would really like to avoid having a maths tutor for a levels which is another reason why i'm worried about doing maths at my current school.Any advice?

mariiiii
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi! i would honestly consider moving schools, maths is a very hard a-level subject and you do need strong maths teachers. if you feel like the maths department isn't good enough, then i would move.
adchaya_m
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mariiiii)
hi! i would honestly consider moving schools, maths is a very hard a-level subject and you do need strong maths teachers. if you feel like the maths department isn't good enough, then i would move.
i'll definitely take that on board,thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.9%
No (507)
66.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed