Choices for Astronomy/Astrophysics degree

Watch
Mihok123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
What are some good subject choices to make to prepare myself for an Astrophysics and Astronomy Bachelor's degree.
Blossom-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
maths and physics will probably be required y most unis and maybe choose another subject that your enjoy/are interested in
RufusA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Definitely Maths and Physics. Plus one other A level that you will do well at and enjoy.
Further Maths is useful, but not essential. If taken as a 4th A level or AS, you may get a lower offer.

Be warned though, entry requirements for good universities are very high - A*AA (with A* in Maths or Physics) are typical.

I'd recommend picking a few universities that you might be interested in, and checking their websites for specific entry requirements, and admissions policies.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by RufusA)
Definitely Maths and Physics. Plus one other A level that you will do well at and enjoy.
Further Maths is useful, but not essential. If taken as a 4th A level or AS, you may get a lower offer.

Be warned though, entry requirements for good universities are very high - A*AA (with A* in Maths or Physics) are typical.

I'd recommend picking a few universities that you might be interested in, and checking their websites for specific entry requirements, and admissions policies.
Agree with all this great advice.

Only thing I’d add is that it may help to do Chemistry (for eg nuclear fusion and fission in stars, line spectra etc) but in order of necessity I’d say:

Physics
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry

Ideally doing all 4 would be ideal (with maybe further maths to AS) but as RufusA said, it’s better to do the subjects you enjoy in addition to maths and physics, and how necessary or helpful further maths and chemistry would be varies depending on the Uni course, so definitely look more into course structures and the type of modules on offer and pick your last one (or two) A Levels accordingly. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.28%

Watched Threads