rallan15
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Can someone please explain what UCAS points are for?
I've looked at so many Uni's in the UK and none of them seem to mention UCAS points anywhere so what is the point of them? Are they more used at international Uni's?
Also I read on a different forum that the average person at Oxbridge has 500+ UCAS points which seems impossible? I'm thinking of doing for A levels and EPQ and even with 4 A*'s and an A I still wouldn't even be close.
amazinggrace22
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
some universities base offers on ucas points instead of grades, which is helpful if a grade system doesn’t work for you. as to oxbridge, offers are based on grades, not points, so it doesn’t even apply to oxbridge. at oxford, the average offer is based on grades at A*AA or AAA which is equivalent to 144-152 points.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
UCAS points are given at less selective uni so instead of looking at your grades, they look at what that grade gives as points and you just have to achieve the grades that is above or equal to the ucas points thats equivalent. They are used in the UK because the uk's application process is through UCAS. The oxbridge thing is wrong and definitely impossible. Yes you can get ucas points from other things like World challenge or extra As level or EPQ but its not used in more selective unis, where they just look at the grades for your a levels to give you an offer of three grades (or 2 if youve already done one or 4 if you chose to do 4 at some unis).
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by rallan15)
Can someone please explain what UCAS points are for?
I've looked at so many Uni's in the UK and none of them seem to mention UCAS points anywhere so what is the point of them? Are they more used at international Uni's?
Also I read on a different forum that the average person at Oxbridge has 500+ UCAS points which seems impossible? I'm thinking of doing for A levels and EPQ and even with 4 A*'s and an A I still wouldn't even be close.
UCAS points are awarded for completing A levels, EPQs, Grade 6+ music exams and a variety of other things. Some unis (I think portsmouth do) have a minimum UCAS points tariff, but normally these are fairly low. Also, the average Cambridge entrant gets 224 and the average Oxford entrant gets 215. I believe thecompleteuniversityguide has the stats.
Last edited by Theloniouss; 9 months ago
RufusA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
@rallan15 - the UCAS Points / Tariffs changed from Sept 2016 so it's likely the information you were reading was old. FYI under the old system an A* A level was worth 140 points vs 56 today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (703)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (886)
42.7%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads