The Student Room Group

Henrietta Barnett Sixth Form 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snxry1010
hii, i also got a conditional offer ages ago but I'm starting to worry a bit cuz the last time they contacted me was to cancel the intro day they were supposed to have. other sixth forms have already sent info about enrollment and bridging/transition work, but hbs is the one school that I haven't received anything from. a friend of mine who also got an offer is experiencing the same thing, but i wanted to check if this is the same for anyone else? i have also emailed them about a month ago asking about this but they haven't replied...

hey dont' worry about it, they only sent the work after results day and they never really got back to me before that either. ig that's just how they opperate, but i hope you got what you wanted :smile:
Original post by Ortographer0311
Yeah good idea, that must be stressful. I’m wondering whether I have a chance, I have six 9’s and four 8’s but like they emailed me saying they would rank us so if someone has like a clean sweep then I’m out lol
The same thing happened to the Dame Alice induction day it also got cancelled even though it was supposed to be in like June

did you get in in the end?
Well in the end for my results I got eight 9s and two 8s and one A* and they still rejected me. Sooooo no I didn’t 😂 are you applying?
Well in the end for my results I got eight 9s and two 8s and one A* and they still rejected me. Sooooo no I didn’t 😂 are you applying?

yes im applying, have you considered why they didnt accept you, those are great grades, maybe it was because you lived far?
Did you apply twice for the school?
Original post by username4029770
thank you!! I hope you're successful in the summer :smile: I'm still deciding between HBS and Woodhouse

what were your predicted grades which got you in?
Original post by pinkboi123
yes im applying, have you considered why they didnt accept you, those are great grades, maybe it was because you lived far?
Did you apply twice for the school?

Well tbh I think it was just bad luck. My school practically didn't predict 9's for anyone, and you had to be really lucky if you had a predicted 9 because there are irregularities even between the teachers within a department ie. some refuse to give 9's and other give them out etc. I only applied with 4x9s the first time so I didn't get in because you had to have a min. of 60/63 points (it doesn't say this in the prospectus but it does in my rejection lol) for (i've attached a link so scroll to year 12 policy for last year) "the applicants top 7 GCSE grades taken from the list of subjects below, which must include Mathematics, English Language and English literature" but i didn't have a 9 in eng. so i mean i guess that's why. And then the second time i applied on results day i doubt they accepted anyone, and like my friend had an offer (only person at my school) and they didn't even let her do the subjects she wanted so she ended up staying so basically I think it is just really selective and it is hard to tell.

and also i don't live far like 25-30mins.
Good luck to you this year!
https://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/henriettamvc/pdf/admissions/policies-and-documents/Admissions-Policy-for-Entry-in-September-2020-%5BDetermined%5D-Feb.pdf
p.s. sorry that was a v confusing message but i hope it helps
Reply 26
Well tbh I think it was just bad luck. My school practically didn't predict 9's for anyone, and you had to be really lucky if you had a predicted 9 because there are irregularities even between the teachers within a department ie. some refuse to give 9's and other give them out etc. I only applied with 4x9s the first time so I didn't get in because you had to have a min. of 60/63 points (it doesn't say this in the prospectus but it does in my rejection lol) for (i've attached a link so scroll to year 12 policy for last year) "the applicants top 7 GCSE grades taken from the list of subjects below, which must include Mathematics, English Language and English literature" but i didn't have a 9 in eng. so i mean i guess that's why. And then the second time i applied on results day i doubt they accepted anyone, and like my friend had an offer (only person at my school) and they didn't even let her do the subjects she wanted so she ended up staying so basically I think it is just really selective and it is hard to tell.

https://www.hbschool.org.uk/userfiles/henriettamvc/pdf/admissions/policies-and-documents/Admissions-Policy-for-Entry-in-September-2020-%5BDetermined%5D-Feb.pdf

It sounds really silly not to enclose the "real" admission entry for 6th form so that people know before they apply. Not telling anyone, means you think you might have a chance getting in but in reality that is not the case. I wouldn't have bothered to apply and get my school involved if I knew this in the first place!
Most probably they have nothing to really do and just want to read through hundreds of applications and references!

thank so much this really helps! When you say you need 60/63 points, does that mean all your gcse points added up, or just the top 7 grades. So, for the application process do they only look at first 7 grades? Did you end up moving? Also , its strange you didn't get in, but it must have worked out for the better though.
thank so much this really helps! When you say you need 60/63 points, does that mean all your gcse points added up, or just the top 7 grades. So, for the application process do they only look at first 7 grades? Did you end up moving? Also , its strange you didn't get in, but it must have worked out for the better though.

Hey, so when they say 60/63 that’s for your top 7 subjects but they have to include maths English lit and English Lang and the remaining four have to be on the list that’s in the prospectus.
And nope I didn’t actually end up moving, I had an offer from Dame Alice Owens but I ended up deciding to stay where I was just because I knew everyone and Dame Alice was like 40 mins away whereas my school is close to me and had good results in my departments anyways.
In the long run, I think it hasn’t made that big of a difference that I didn’t move and we had tons of new people join us anyways (like half the year now are new people) so it was still a fresh experience and yeahhhh
If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Do you know what A Levels you want to do?

Glad that helped!
Hey, so when they say 60/63 that’s for your top 7 subjects but they have to include maths English lit and English Lang and the remaining four have to be on the list that’s in the prospectus.
And nope I didn’t actually end up moving, I had an offer from Dame Alice Owens but I ended up deciding to stay where I was just because I knew everyone and Dame Alice was like 40 mins away whereas my school is close to me and had good results in my departments anyways.
In the long run, I think it hasn’t made that big of a difference that I didn’t move and we had tons of new people join us anyways (like half the year now are new people) so it was still a fresh experience and yeahhhh
If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Do you know what A Levels you want to do?

Glad that helped!

wow that sounds like tough competition. My points are 61 so you never know! Do you know anybody that's moved there, if so what do they say about it? I'm planning on taking maths, economics, physics and politics , potentially further maths as a 4th option instead of politics, what do you take? I want to move for a new experience, i enjoy my current school a lot but most people end up moving for sixth form as the education isnt soo great, you have to be self motivated most of the time.
wow that sounds like tough competition. My points are 61 so you never know! Do you know anybody that's moved there, if so what do they say about it? I'm planning on taking maths, economics, physics and politics , potentially further maths as a 4th option instead of politics, what do you take? I want to move for a new experience, i enjoy my current school a lot but most people end up moving for sixth form as the education isnt soo great, you have to be self motivated most of the time.

Sooo I don’t know anyone that’s moved there but I know some people that go there and they don’t complain or anything but like some people do say it’s quite stressful just because it’s very academic (but that’s the same in schools like mine so I mean you get used to it). Only good things though pretty much.
I also know a lot to people (at my school) who do the maths, fm, physics and econ combo and they seem to enjoy it so that sounds great!
im taking Spanish, french, maths and geography soooo yeah that’s quite fun too although the language essays can be torturous
i definitely understand the whole moving to get new experiences and stuff and you seem really motivated so an environment like HBS will probably do you good.
any other sixth forms you are looking at?

i'm currently there, i moved there for sixth form so i can't tell you much about all the teaching, especially since I've only been at in-person school for 4 months. from what I've seen so far, its ok. there's quite a bit of academic pressure, as all the students work really hard and perform well, so if you're someone like me who came from a school where there weren't as many people of my academic level, be prepared for a shock. obviously a levels require hard work, and the people i know so far are kind enough to help with any content. i do maths bio chem and physics so i can tell you about 2 subjects - if you want, i can pm you with more detail!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Zainab1734
i'm currently there, i moved there for sixth form so i can't tell you much about all the teaching, especially since I've only been at in-person school for 4 months. from what I've seen so far, its ok. there's quite a bit of academic pressure, as all the students work really hard and perform well, so if you're someone like me who came from a school where there weren't as many people of my academic level, be prepared for a shock. obviously a levels require hard work, and the people i know so far are kind enough to help with any content. i do maths bio chem and physics so i can tell you about 2 subjects - if you want, i can pm you with more detail!

hey can I ask the gcse predicted grades u got in with x
Original post by sixthformapp
hey can I ask the gcse predicted grades u got in with x

hey sure, i don’t think out predicted grades were disclosed to us but i think they were mainly 8’s and some 9’s and maybe a 7. my final results were 9 9’s, an 8 and an A* xx
so like how many ppl r getting 63 points , like I have 62 im so scared . Everyone put ur points below coz they only allow ppl to even get considered if u have more than 60 out of 63 in ur to 4 subjects as well as eng lang , lit and maths . So if u have 63 ur basically gonna get in . I have 62 im scared .
Original post by EleniT
It sounds really silly not to enclose the "real" admission entry for 6th form so that people know before they apply. Not telling anyone, means you think you might have a chance getting in but in reality that is not the case. I wouldn't have bothered to apply and get my school involved if I knew this in the first place!
Most probably they have nothing to really do and just want to read through hundreds of applications and references!

the school seems so elitist... why on earth would they do that?

if im being honest hbs seems very toxic and misleading from an outside perspective (of course this is just my opinion and ive never been there) ... i know so many smart girls who got rejected at the 11+ and i also feel like whilst my grades were not exceptional (57) they were very good and i am shocked the level they are asking for is so high considering their final a level results are very average compared to other schools in the borough. i didnt do the 11+ so this is my first encounter with the school but ive heard from friends that the place puts incredible amounts of pressure on the girls to do well.. surely thats not good for anyones mental health? and i think its a bit unfair to ask for a 60/63 when students have been out of school for so long and some have got badly predicted grades due to factors beyond their control. a genuine congrats to anyone who managed to get in because that is incredible and the stakes were really high. if you didnt get in, apply to woodhouse college in finchely, from what ive heard (which may be false) woodhouse is an objectively better school and they care more about giving the students some control and freedom.
Reply 36
Original post by nosestrawberry

if im being honest hbs seems very toxic and misleading from an outside perspective (of course this is just my opinion and ive never been there) ... i know so many smart girls who got rejected at the 11+ and i also feel like whilst my grades were not exceptional (57) they were very good and i am shocked the level they are asking for is so high considering their final a level results are very average compared to other schools in the borough. i didnt do the 11+ so this is my first encounter with the school but ive heard from friends that the place puts incredible amounts of pressure on the girls to do well.. surely thats not good for anyones mental health? and i think its a bit unfair to ask for a 60/63 when students have been out of school for so long and some have got badly predicted grades due to factors beyond their control. a genuine congrats to anyone who managed to get in because that is incredible and the stakes were really high. if you didnt get in, apply to woodhouse college in finchely, from what ive heard (which may be false) woodhouse is an objectively better school and they care more about giving the students some control and freedom.

I don't think they ask for 60/63, is just the girls who apply that have these grades. Anyway, I feel like it was a bad idea to apply and is it a relief I am rejected now, so its not in my options. Hopefully I will get a conditional offer from the other school which I applied to and in the worst case, I will stay at my current school. It's just annoying that HBS is not clear from the beginning, that's all. So not annoyed because I didn't get a place but annoyed with myself for applying in the first place :smile:
Original post by nosestrawberry

Completely not true lol. I have never understood why people apply to HBS just to say it’s toxic when they don’t get in... lots of smart people do get rejected at 11+ because there are people who do better in the exams, it’s as simple as that. In the admissions process, students are ranked and they take the top 50 or so because they have to have a place available for all students who currently go there and applications are extremely competitive, so grades end up being very high.

I wouldn’t say their final A level results are “very average” compared to other schools either - in 2019, 92% of grades at HBS were A*-B (with 73% being A*/A), while Woodhouse had 66% achieving A*-B.

I’m not sure if those friends who you have heard from actually go to the school because it couldn’t be further from the truth. The pressure to do well comes from students themselves and the school in fact strongly encourages against this. There is also a lot of freedom at HBS - definitely not as much as Woodhouse but that’s because Woodhouse is a college and HBS is a sixth form.
Reply 38
Original post by Bubble Teaaaa
Completely not true lol. I have never understood why people apply to HBS just to say it’s toxic when they don’t get in... lots of smart people do get rejected at 11+ because there are people who do better in the exams, it’s as simple as that. In the admissions process, students are ranked and they take the top 50 or so because they have to have a place available for all students who currently go there and applications are extremely competitive, so grades end up being very high.

I wouldn’t say their final A level results are “very average” compared to other schools either - in 2019, 92% of grades at HBS were A*-B (with 73% being A*/A), while Woodhouse had 66% achieving A*-B.

I’m not sure if those friends who you have heard from actually go to the school because it couldn’t be further from the truth. The pressure to do well comes from students themselves and the school in fact strongly encourages against this. There is also a lot of freedom at HBS - definitely not as much as Woodhouse but that’s because Woodhouse is a college and HBS is a sixth form.

True, but as a school they should STRESS the fact that they expect girls to have nearly all 9s in 7 subjects INCLUDING eng lang, eng lit and maths and not get so many applicants in each year! If they can put it somewhere in the requirements to say that girls should have 9 in eng lang, eng lit and maths and at least grade 8 in 4 other subjects, then i am sure half the girls wouldn't bother applying and going into the hassle of asking teachers for references etc.
Original post by Bubble Teaaaa

i think youv'e got me confused.. i am completely against grammar schools and i chose not to even sit the 11+ despite encouragement because i personally think that going to a comprehensive gives you better experiences and makes you more open to the real world (no offence to people in grammar schools, but i am allowed this opinion.) i know my intelligence, and i know my peers in comprehensive schools are just as academic and smart as anyone in a grammar school.. tests that were done 6 years ago on literal kids have no real indication of anyones intelligence when some people were trained for those exams for years and others werent given that luxury. i applied because some of my friends and family wanted to see if i could get the grades to get in, and again, not because i wanted to consider it. i wasnt even convinced i would get in considering my friends who have won academic competitions didnt even get in, so i hope you havent gotten the impression that im butthurt because i got rejected. its truly not the case, and i dont think the school is the right fit for me.

woodhouse is not the only school in the borough nor the best. i just said for all the stress that goes with highly selective schools its objectively better to go to a school that actually puts effort into other parts of a students development. considering a significant amount of hbs girls will have tutors/ academic families compared to woodhouse, woodhouse contextually has done better because more of the students wont have had a financial or educational headstart. equally mixed schools will get lower grades because boys generally perform lower than girls in exams due to their primary socialisation. if you claim the hbs students put the pressure on themselves thats ok, but you cant negate the fact that being in a selective school adds even more pressure especially in yr11 when you are at risk of getting kicked out. i say this more in sympathy to the students than anything else.
yes you will have a different experience but the people i know do not necessarily encourage me going there and thats ok, i specified that was their experience. equally (and again this is MY own experience,) there is a snobby school culture, like the girls who told me that i would work in kfc for the rest of my life and remain on benefits. completely unprovoked.

i get my stance will offend people but i am just speaking how i honestly feel. i apologise if it seems like im disrespecting the hard work grammar school students produce, i know people put in the work and i think they should be proud of their accomplishments. i can only congratulate the girls who are able to get those grades and i wish them all the best for the future. however i wont apologise for saying that during a pandemic those requirements are a little outrageous, and that i dont have to be bitter or jealous to point that out. i dont think you needed to take things as personally as you did, its not a personal attack.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending