The Student Room Group

Programming / Game development

Hello, 20 years old here. I'm thinking about going to uni and I can't seem to choose between programming and game development. My plans change literally every month so I thought there's someone out there who studied either of those and might give me some advice. I get people telling me to study programming since the game industry isn't easy to get into. Can anyone tell me how it is after finishing uni?
Original post by Mkay199
Hello, 20 years old here. I'm thinking about going to uni and I can't seem to choose between programming and game development. My plans change literally every month so I thought there's someone out there who studied either of those and might give me some advice. I get people telling me to study programming since the game industry isn't easy to get into. Can anyone tell me how it is after finishing uni?

Personally, i would choose Programming, this is because Programming allows you to go into many sectors in the tech industry. If you were to take game development, your main skills are in game development, meaning if in the future you wanted to do something else and having other programming skills then it will help you by opening doors to other job roles.

So, Programming is probably your best option in my opinion.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
The games industry is indeed competitive, and I have plenty of colleagues who worked in games and couldn't stand it any more (low pay, unpaid overtime during crunch, lack of job security, poor management, etc.). A CS degree (or something more practical like software engineering) would keep your options open and still permit you to enter the games industry if you so choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending