Do I need to change my diet if my goal is to build insurance? Watch

ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
****ing predictive text *Endurance*

My weight is not an issue really Im a hard gainer always have been. Im what you would class as “slim”. I want to increase stamina, flexibility and I suppose with that, strength; so I’m looking to start HIIT training. What I’m wondering is if I need to revamp my diet to see improvements? as I am really not big, if anything I need to put weight on, Ideally atleast a stone. I did try bulking once and got a gainer to drink but it went straight to my belly so I looked skinny with a pot belly. Advice from someone who knows what I should be doing would be good.

Just to reiterate my goal is to build stamina, flexibility and strength.
Last edited by ThuggerThugger; 3 weeks ago
Owenstampy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Insurers Don't have weight requirements when you sign up. However miss-using your weight to deliberately crush things would be seen as negligence, and you would not be able to make a claim.
Jasst71
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're absolutely right with the HIIT training! If you're looking to increase strength in your legs, which helps in the long run, try using the incline on a treadmill in intervals, or hill sprints if you don't have access to a treadmill. When gaining weight you want to make it as healthy as possible, this by creating a positive energy balance. Simply by adding 500 calories onto your daily intake, which is calculated by your intake your body should be eating (calculate by the Harris-Benedict equation) multiplied by your total energy expenditure (the amount of times you exercise). Potentially adding more protein for protein synthesis within your muscles (this should be 12-15% of your diet). With short sprints you are then using your anaerobic system which makes your muscle take the glycogen (glucose that has been stored from food) and use it as energy rather than oxygen, this is how your muscles will strengthen. For your stamina, you could work on cardiovascular training, or again interval training, do a sprint, having a rest for 30 seconds, then complete 5 minutes of constant running, mix it up a bit so then you won't get bored. Flexibility within joints will come along with that but try complete some exercises and regularly test yourself to see if you're making progress, because if you aren't you can mix it up a bit again. Protein such as meat and nuts will give you the muscle growth along with exercising as it puts stress on the muscles and creates micro muscle tears in your muscles, which repair and become stronger (muscular hypertrophy). Grains (carbohydrates) will give you that energy to exercise however, consuming to much can make you gain the wrong type of weight (stick to 40-60% of your diet). Then continue eating your fats such as avocados, your body needs these, it's your backup source of energy (20-35% of your diet). Improvements won't occur straight away, give it a month to see a slight change and then 12 weeks for more of a change. Remember to give yourself a cheat day too! Not too frequent, your body still needs them! Depending on your exercise, different types of drinks help, whether it is isotonic, hypertonic and hypotonic. Try stick to isotonic through intervals and for long distance running, hypertonic. These contain carbohydrates and electrolytes as well as water. I am a qualified gym instructor, hope this helps! Kind of put everything into one!😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads