The Student Room Group

Writing an Essay in the third person?

As I am on a creative course 99% of my written assignments are critical reflections on myself, so all of them are written in the first person.

I how have an essay based on the importance of community dance through one observation I have made and two online case studies. It sounds silly but how would I write in the third person?

I keep using "in this essay it will be discussed..." but I feel like I use that too many times, what other alternatives are there?

I also use others like "from the session it is clear that..." or "from this information it has been found that..."

I know I should know this by now, but having only written first person essays for the past 3/4 years I am a little out of touch with other writing formats!
http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/writing-definitions/
http://www2.eit.ac.nz/library/ls_guides_sentencestarters.html

These two have helped me a lot for sentence openers etc. For your introductions, try and start the essay with a little context, so that from there you can link it to the question and then the layout of the essay. That will hopefully help you to move away from "in this essay...".

So here is an intro from one of my essays last semester (this got a first). This essay question was asking if the economy was the primary factor for the 1919 seaport riots. You can refer to the question directly if you like, I have done it quite subtly here though.

The process of demobilisation is converting a nation’s armed forces from combat-ready status to peacetime conditions fit for re-entry into society. Following the end of World War One, over 2,100,000 ‘other ranks’ had been demobilised. Such a large-scale demobilisation lead to strain on employment, housing and society, and ultimately lead to widespread dissatisfaction among Britain’s workers. This economic unrest is one of the primary factors in the string of riots taking place between January and August 1919, which resulted in five deaths. While the economic repercussions of the demobilisation following World War One may have been the predominant factor for the 1919 seaport riots, it is important to understand the other factors that contributed to or escalated the riots. Racist and prejudice behaviour and thought towards the black people of Britain and their communities was not new, as this stemmed from a history of slavery and oppression. Similarly, increased fear and anxieties about interracial relationships grew during World War One, as well as feelings of disillusionment following the lack of recognition and support given after returning to Britain. Finally, another factor to consider is the role of unions and their meetings contributing to the already tenuous relations.

Feel free to message me, quite happy to read some stuff, but honestly, those sites help me so much, especially the first one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending