kturnie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I've just started my last semester of my final year (this week's the second week) but I'm feeling so incredibly hopeless. I'm exhausted and no matter how hard I try to motivate myself it just doesn't work, I've tried so hard but I just can't bear to do the work, it makes me feel sick and so I'm really really behind. I'm scared that I'm going to end up doing something terrible to myself to try to get out of this mess but I don't want to go there. I'm at my wit's end. I know that if I keep going on feeling like this its going to make me fail this semester which is meant to mean the most out of the whole three years. I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about seeing if I can take time off but with it being so late I'm sure they'll just tell me to stick it out.If you can give me some advice I'd really really appreciate it.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by kturnie)
Hi, I've just started my last semester of my final year (this week's the second week) but I'm feeling so incredibly hopeless. I'm exhausted and no matter how hard I try to motivate myself it just doesn't work, I've tried so hard but I just can't bear to do the work, it makes me feel sick and so I'm really really behind. I'm scared that I'm going to end up doing something terrible to myself to try to get out of this mess but I don't want to go there. I'm at my wit's end. I know that if I keep going on feeling like this its going to make me fail this semester which is meant to mean the most out of the whole three years. I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about seeing if I can take time off but with it being so late I'm sure they'll just tell me to stick it out.If you can give me some advice I'd really really appreciate it.
Hi kturnie

Sorry to hear that you are feeling like this.

I would highly recommend talking to one of your tutors or student support at your university. Feeling overwhelmed in 3rd year is really common (more so than you may think) and by letting them know that you're struggling, you should be able to get the support that you need.

Please know that you aren't the first to feel this way, and the people at university are there to help you.

I hope this helps and you feel more in control soon. If you need any more help just let us know.

Melissa
songnrt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would suggest you find a uni counselor or any regular counselor to talk to about how you are feeling because you actually have the fear of maybe ending up doing something to yourself, and this really shouldn't be ignored.

I understand that the very last end of uni can be tough, I feel like you are not alone in this and there are many other students who feel the same but aren't speaking out. I'd say talk and consult with anyone you trust or feel close to that would make you feel better about your situation. Maybe to regain motivations in your study, you have to find alternative reinforcement for yourself if the old methods are not working anymore? And maybe studying with a group of friends who you believe could help you get good grades as well as support you emotionally would be better than being hard on yourself alone.

But I think the most important thing you have to keep in mind about studying is that you just have to do YOUR best. Everyone's definition and level of 'best' is not the same and it's totally normal. The WORST thing you can do is compare yourself with others. I'd say just try to remember why you chose to study this in the first place and be proud of yourself for having already come this far. Schools aren't meant to be easy and that's how we all learn and grow.

Cheer up and please feel free to private message me if you need someone to listen to. x
m121
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My boyfriend was feeling very depressed and ended up talking to his uni counsellor and tutor who all recommended he went to the GP. After he did, he went on antidepressants which helped him a lot. However, this still happened around March and he would have 5 final year exams in May. They let him do 2 in May and defer the rest in August. He couldn't graduate in July with his friends because of this, but it was much better for him to do it this way or I don't think he would have been able to get a 2:1 otherwise and that would have probably made it a lot harder to get a job which he now has! He just graduated in winter instead with the other resit people or master's students and was grad job hunting in the mean time and then by December he managed to secure an immediate start grad job, so it all has gone really well for him so please please please do not lose out hope! I suggest looking into doing what he's done! x
Luminosaccio
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel the exact same way, so I understand you 100%.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Luminosaccio)
I feel the exact same way, so I understand you 100%.
Both of you need to speak to your university's student support department, and possibly even your GP. No point struggling in silence when you can get support if you need it.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As others have said, go get help and make sure to tell your uni.

I got out of a psychiatric hospital a week before my final exams and I did so badly. I really regret not putting off the exams until after the summer when I was starting to feel better. I would also say to see your GP rather than rely on uni counselors. At this time I doubt you'd be able to get in to see anyone for at least a couple of months - they get so oversubscribed nearer exams. You will probably need a doctor's note if you want to put off your exams so do not delay. Also I think they won't tell you to tough it out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads