The Student Room Group

Can vet nurses become vets?

I’m wondering if after getting a degree in veterinary nursing there’s any top up years or other pathways I could take in order to become a veterinary surgeon?
Reply 1
Yes a veterinary nurse can become a vet. By doing a degree in veterinary science. You can do a graduate entry route which takes four years, or you can do the standard five year entry
Reply 2
Original post by nicolegrace1207
I’m wondering if after getting a degree in veterinary nursing there’s any top up years or other pathways I could take in order to become a veterinary surgeon?

Yes, it is possible, but there isn't really a shorter route. Some unis (e.g. RVC) offer a graduate accelerated programme for people who have done science-based degrees, but this degree is still 4 years long and essentially the same as the normal vet med course. Other unis will just accept vet nurses onto the main vet med course (5 years long).

Doing the vet med degree is really the only pathway (there's no other route to qualifying as a vet surgeon).

Obviously things to bear in mind are funding (there's much less student finance available for people on their second degree) and the structure of the courses: both involve lots of content but with vet nursing you can learn a little more 'on-the-job' in some circumstances. For vet med, especially the earlier years, there's a lot of very heavy theory that sometimes is and sometimes isn't all that clinical. Also the different roles: vet surgeon compared to vet nurse, and their different responsibilities. The unis you apply to may ask what you understand the differences to be and how you will be suitable for the vet surgeon role.

That said, there's vet nurses who are on my vet med course, so if you really want it, it definitely is possible xx
Reply 3
Hi, I am currently in college studying the btec level 3 extended diploma in animals management and am going on to do vet nursing next year. I have been doing work experience through the summer and have enjoyed it but have found that i am more interested in the vet med side than the nursing side. Because of my btec however i am not able to go straight into vet med so i will have to progress through veterinary nursing. This could be an option for you! I am aware that it would cost more to do two degrees but i feel that it is better to experience veterinary nursing before veterinary medicine because it will give you options and you will be qualified in both areas. Even though you will have to pay for the second degree there are multiple other grants and loans that could be awarded to you to help pay for your education.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose!
Reply 4
Original post by Lea438
Hi, I am currently in college studying the btec level 3 extended diploma in animals management and am going on to do vet nursing next year. I have been doing work experience through the summer and have enjoyed it but have found that i am more interested in the vet med side than the nursing side. Because of my btec however i am not able to go straight into vet med so i will have to progress through veterinary nursing. This could be an option for you! I am aware that it would cost more to do two degrees but i feel that it is better to experience veterinary nursing before veterinary medicine because it will give you options and you will be qualified in both areas. Even though you will have to pay for the second degree there are multiple other grants and loans that could be awarded to you to help pay for your education.

I hold the same diploma as you and you can do vet med as a degree with an extended diploma. Not all unis will accept it but there are multiple that will at a DDD-D*D*D*. Two UK unis with the course have a ‘gateway’ year which allows you to enroll with a lower grade (DMM) but you will have to do an extra year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm starting Bristol vet med this year and a girl I know is a vet nurse starting the course too so definitely possible! Just can be long and expensive
Original post by Lea438

There really aren't that many grants and loans to help with vet med as a second degree - it is not like medicine. It is better to try and get on to vet med as your first degree if that is really what you want to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending