MathsMania
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm sitting my history edexcel GCSE this year in year 10. Our class haven't started revising yet and I'm scared I'm not going to meet my predicted grade (9). I have to recap EVERYTHING in year 9 and year 10 in 3 months!
Any help?
I'm doing Medicine through Time, Henry VII and his minsters, The Cold War and Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany. Any help is really appreciated!!!!
Mona123456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MathsMania)
I'm sitting my history edexcel GCSE this year in year 10. Our class haven't started revising yet and I'm scared I'm not going to meet my predicted grade (9). I have to recap EVERYTHING in year 9 and year 10 in 3 months!
Any help?
I'm doing Medicine through Time, Henry VII and his minsters, The Cold War and Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany. Any help is really appreciated!!!!
How long have you been learning the course for? Did you start it early in Year 9? History definitely takes two years and is pretty content heavy.

I’ve answered this question before so will copy and paste my response, but let me know if you have any more specific questions:

History advice response 1:
My best advice would honestly be to use the Pearson official textbooks. They’re very clear and detailed, and go through exam technique at the end. Revision guides are also fine but for me, I genuinely found the textbooks to be an in-depth source of every and all information I could possibly need. I would definitely just recommend using the textbook and reading through it multiple times before your real exam, as well as making posters/flashcards/condensed notes and doing lots of exam practice. If you can put the time in to learn even 70-80% of what’s in the textbook (if need be don’t worry too much about all the stats, just be selective) you should have a great chance of getting a grade 7-9 as long as you understand it and also work on developing the exam technique. Good luck!

History response 2:

History - for History, this probably sounds dull but my advice is use the textbooks. I did Edexcel and the textbooks were fab - very clear and detailed! You need to know the content inside out - the names of people, order of key events etc and then do lots of practice questions. But the main thing is just learning the content, making flashcards or posters for example might be helpful too.
MathsMania
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
How long have you been learning the course for? Did you start it early in Year 9? History definitely takes two years and is pretty content heavy.

I’ve answered this question before so will copy and paste my response, but let me know if you have any more specific questions:

History advice response 1:
My best advice would honestly be to use the Pearson official textbooks. They’re very clear and detailed, and go through exam technique at the end. Revision guides are also fine but for me, I genuinely found the textbooks to be an in-depth source of every and all information I could possibly need. I would definitely just recommend using the textbook and reading through it multiple times before your real exam, as well as making posters/flashcards/condensed notes and doing lots of exam practice. If you can put the time in to learn even 70-80% of what’s in the textbook (if need be don’t worry too much about all the stats, just be selective) you should have a great chance of getting a grade 7-9 as long as you understand it and also work on developing the exam technique. Good luck!

History response 2:

History - for History, this probably sounds dull but my advice is use the textbooks. I did Edexcel and the textbooks were fab - very clear and detailed! You need to know the content inside out - the names of people, order of key events etc and then do lots of practice questions. But the main thing is just learning the content, making flashcards or posters for example might be helpful too.
Thanks so much for responding! Yes, I started early in Year 9 and had 3 hours a week. The only content we didn't cover was The Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany. But this year, our school has cut history lessons by 1 hour a week, and we still haven't finished Nazi Germany even though we started in September. This means we haven't started revision, and exams are in 3 months!
Your advice seems super helpful, so thanks again!
Mona123456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MathsMania)
Thanks so much for responding! Yes, I started early in Year 9 and had 3 hours a week. The only content we didn't cover was The Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany. But this year, our school has cut history lessons by 1 hour a week, and we still haven't finished Nazi Germany even though we started in September. This means we haven't started revision, and exams are in 3 months!
Your advice seems super helpful, so thanks again!
You’re welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.

My advice for Edexcel History is just to try and memorise as much as possible - definitely the chains of events and key causes/consequences etc, but for the 9 try and learn the German names, statistics etc. Start reading through one history chapter a day - maybe pick out key facts and statistics to make flashcards. But just read them as often and as many times as you can, and test yourself. I’d recommend after revising the whole of a module, flick to a random page and choose a subheading, then talk out loud to yourself and explain the chain of events (this works particularly well for modules like Germany). Then, check the textbook, see what you forgot and make a note of it. Honestly, just keep reading the textbooks, memorise as much as you can and test yourself. Make up practice questions (the structure of the paper always stays the same) and be strict with yourself.

Also - top tip - use the official teacher support resources! They give extra guidance which is super helpful for exam technique:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...g-support.html

Especially make sure you check out student exemplar answers with examiner commentary (this is the 2018 Nazi papers one, but there are multiple):

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...mmer_2018).pdf

Just stay calm, gradually start memorising the content now and don’t let history overtake your life (lol, I reckon I spent the same amount of time revising history as I did on all my other subjects combined). But, you have plenty of time (I didn’t work properly until Easter really) so don’t stress, make a plan of what you want to get done and keep persevering and you’ll get there. Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads