Uni of Westminster or Sheffield Hallam? I

Watch
nishiajin120
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What should I go for- Westminster or Sheffield Hallam? Please help me make a decision here! Really confused!
username4405462
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well hallam is going to be much much cheaper than westminster, I'd know bcs i'm at uni of.

Go to both and see what you think, you'll know when you go to both cities.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Westminster
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nishiajin120)
What should I go for- Westminster or Sheffield Hallam? Please help me make a decision here! Really confused!
Hello nishiajin120
What course are you looking to study?

Have you been to visit both universities, the best way to make a decision is to visit get a feel for the university, its location and the course and make an overall decision between these key areas. You have to live in this city for 3 years so its best to ensure that you like the place you will be living in just as much as the course itself. :yep:

If you haven't yet visited Sheffield Hallam we have a course open day in March and April where you can come and meet tutors and speak to current students about the course.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Many thanks
Rachel
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

As above, for the most part. Just to add, though! If you would like any student-based experiences from Sheffield Hallam, regarding anything to do with the University, feel free to @ me in this thread and I'll cover anything you might be wondering!

Joshua
sam badcock
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya!

So I'm actually a current Final Year Student University of Westminster so I can definitely speak on what the uni's like! For me, one of the biggest factors was connecting with industry and all the stuff that comes with Uni beyond the classroom, and Westminster offers really strong opportunities to develop work experience including internships/placements (I've got a few friends that do TV and work on the Late Late Show with James Corden, Placement Students at MTV etc), mentoring programmes and continuous help with interviewing, cover letters and CVs, so if getting work experience and professional experience is up there on your priority list, I definitely think its one of Westminster's strongest areas!

I personally really rate the teaching, for me it's around 12-16 contact hours per week, and the seminars usually immediately follow the lecture, where we'll go through the lecture content (which is also uploaded online if for whatever reason I can't make it in) and have the opportunity to apply the learning in things like case studies, practice papers, group activities etc. As there's independent study time to work on assignments, I personally love the fact that I can go and work out of any of the Campuses (1 in Harrow but also 4 in central as well), just gives me a change of scenery, I prefer working out of our Regents Street Campus just because it's probably the grandest (chandeliers, marble floors etc.), and it's just where I find myself most productive!

Socially, I've had a bit of experience with the Students Union, and there are so many ways to get involved! I chose to go through starting up a society at the Business School, but others choose to get involved through student media e.g. our Radio Station, Podcasts, Student Magazine, Newspaper etc. or through our cheer team/sports teams! Alternatively the SU run events at their student bars; there's the main one out in Harrow, but there's also one inside Regents Street campus which doubles up as a Starbucks during the day!

Accommodation wise, I lived in Raffles House (the first years Halls of Residence) and I loved it, you live in flats of 5-6 if I remember correctly, and you fill out a questionnaire when you book to make sure you get to live with with compatible people in terms of like are they early risers, do they like to cook, are they sociable etc. and it's such a great opportunity to meet people outside of your campus, I met some of my closest friends in Halls! The rooms are a good size and came with a double bed (which was a relief as I had a double at home and going from a double back to a single is hard!) and the kitchens are really nicely furnished! After your first year, 2nd years, Final years, MA students and Study abroad students can choose to live in the Uni's other Halls in Marylebone and Shoreditch, but I just decided to get a flat share with some friends!

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your decision! :-)
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which course do you prefer?
Is money a consideration? London is very expensive.

I grew up in Sheffield, but would prefer being a (self-funded) student there. It's not as if either is worth a lot of debt, IMO.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads