School Holliday and climate change?

Watch
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Our summers seem to be getting longer and hotter (remember 2018) I was wondering if the length of the summer break should change to reflect this. Manet a couple more weeks at the start of summer obviously those weeks need to be found elsewhere so we could shorten half term to3 days off instead of 5 so that’s 6 days right there then Easter andChristmas holidays could be a couple of days shorter the kids get a nice long summer holiday as the weather is about to bite . What do you think?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
No
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
No
why not?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
why not?
Holidays are always too long, parents can't afford more time off work to look after children.
The weather systems vary year on year. Sometimes we have a longer warmer summer, other times we'll have a nasty winter. You can keep moving the school calendar around on a whim.

Other countries manage far greater variations in weather on a regular basis, so so can we.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Holidays are always too long, parents can't afford more time off work to look after children.
The weather systems vary year on year. Sometimes we have a longer warmer summer, other times we'll have a nasty winter. You can keep moving the school calendar around on a whim.

Other countries manage far greater variations in weather on a regular basis, so so can we.
Ok fair point about the weather systems but we are going to see more prolonged hot spells on the parents can’t afford more time off they wouldn’t need to it’s just a different distribution.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Ok fair point about the weather systems but we are going to see more prolonged hot spells on the parents can’t afford more time off they wouldn’t need to it’s just a different distribution.
Those two bits in bold can't both be true.

We don't get, nor (even in the worst case) will we get weather that other places don't already cope with. It's just Brits being soft and pathetic.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The UK wont see substantially hotter average summers due to climate change, in fact the North Atlantic region is the one part of the world that could see cooler temperatures by 2050, most likely scenario will see UK average about 0.5 degrees C hotter by 2050 (compared to 2000).

Whoever has told you the UK is getting hotter is misleading you. The poles and the areas around the equator are where significant temperature changes will occur, I suggest you read up on what climate change actually is.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?

We don't get, nor (even in the worst case) will we get weather that other places don't already cope with. It's just Brits being soft and pathetic.
Last summer had a record breaking heat wave and the hottest August bank holiday on record the previous summer was very warm for. A long time and you can totally redistribute time spent in or out of the classroom.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Last summer had a record breaking heat wave and the hottest August bank holiday on record the previous summer was very warm for. A long time and you can totally redistribute time spent in or out of the classroom.
You're not even in school in August, ffs.

What kind of stupid argument is that?
nutz99
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Most hot countries like Spain and Greece don’t have half term but have extra summer holidays. If our weather does change drastically then it would make sense to do away with half term and add the 2 weeks to the summer holiday. Another thing to consider would be school hours. I know that in Greece they start early and finish early so miss most of the heat in the day.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
No, summer break is too long as it is.
Having a half term is beneficial too, it breaks up the terms so they feel more manageable, and you're less likely to suffer from burnout because you have time to recuperate.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Tiny bit of heat and we melt.

One snowflake and everyone panics and shuts down.

We are worthless with the weather.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Tiny bit of heat and we melt.

One snowflake and everyone panics and shuts down.

We are worthless with the weather.
:eek3:
this is all true.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
You're not even in school in August, ffs.

What kind of stupid argument is that?
That argument is to illustrate that our summers are getting warmer like it or not and we will have to adapt would you prefer another example because I could provide you on how about May 2018 being the hottest on record is that more to you taste it proves the same point.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
That argument is to illustrate that our summers are getting warmer like it or not and we will have to adapt would you prefer another example because I could provide you on how about May 2018 being the hottest on record is that more to you taste it proves the same point.
And you're already off for summer.

And just because it's a bit warm for us doesn't mean it's impossible to do anything.

You can't condense the school holidays without causing nicer problems elsewhere and you've not addressed how those will be dealt with, nor how you plan to make sure kids have adequate breaks.

Your whole idea is entirely inadequate and woefully underthought. It's a non starter.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
And you're already off for summer.

And just because it's a bit warm for us doesn't mean it's impossible to do anything.

You can't condense the school holidays without causing nicer problems elsewhere and you've not addressed how those will be dealt with, nor how you plan to make sure kids have adequate breaks.

Your whole idea is entirely inadequate and woefully underthought. It's a non starter.
Your not off for summer in May kids break up for summer in the middle of July.

I never said it was impossible although it being slightly cooler does make it easier for people to learn

Oh yeah and what other problems would those be?

you say it's non starter but I still haven't herd a good reason why from you and I have thought it through 3 days off instead of 5 for a half term and 2 less days at Easter and Christmas the kids spend the same time in school just at different times.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Oh yeah and what other problems would those be?
You
Cannot
Predict
The
Weather
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What we should be doing is adapting our buildings and planting more trees (shade, absorb CO2), not going half a mile to school in the car but walking (with or without a parent depending on age), to respond to climate change. The summer holiday if anything is too long and should be shortened and the time off at other times of year extended. We have a horrific level of poverty in this country and unaffordable childcare for many, and the impact on families and employers of a long holiday is great.

In any case, September and June can often be the warmer or sunnier months.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
You
Cannot
Predict
The
Weather
You
Can
Make
an
educated
guess
and
adapt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.32%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (665)
49.33%

Watched Threads