The Student Room Logo

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbsurdBanana
Hey!

I'm on track to get 8/9A*s in my GCSES so my mother has decided to take me to Cambridge at the weekend.

Would any Tabs be willing to give me an insight into which colleges to have a look at, as a prospective comprehensive school applicant (I'm white and middle class so an all private school college wouldn't bother me but i'd prefer not to be among a group I don't fit in with.) I'll be calling a few colleges tomorrow and asking them.

Thanks.

I've been studying in Cambridge for three years going on four and I still don't know of any "private school college" :flute:
Hey!

I'm on track to get 8/9A*s in my GCSES so my mother has decided to take me to Cambridge at the weekend.

Would any Tabs be willing to give me an insight into which colleges to have a look at, as a prospective comprehensive school applicant (I'm white and middle class so an all private school college wouldn't bother me but i'd prefer not to be among a group I don't fit in with.) I'll be calling a few colleges tomorrow and asking them.

Thanks.

Best advice is just do your homework before you go, there isn't a 'best' college, but there will be ones that are more suited to you. I wasn't even considering Trinity Hall before I had a very quick look on my way home, and I'm now holding an offer from the college. Keep an open mind.

And there's no such thing as a private school college.
Reply 3782
Hey!

Thanks.

Look on the website (and at applytocambridge.com), see which descriptions you like the look of - that's a pretty good way of narrowing down. Might be worth thinking about whether you want a big/small college, one that's traditional or modern, one that takes lots of people in your subject, or any other weird/unusual features. It's a big list to narrow down and it'll be easier to get an idea of the place if you can spare 15-20 minutes (perhaps more at bigger colleges) to take a wander round and talk to students.

Also, don't be afraid to talk to students! If you do call ahead they may be able to arrange for someone (perhaps an admissions tutor, perhaps a student) to give you a tour or have a chat, but if you see students around, don't be afraid to ask them about the college, Cambridge, their subject... (we don't bite!)
Is it true that all colleges which accept 18-year-old undergraduates also have a high table?

And that all colleges which have a high table accept 18-year-old undergraduates?

This is counting all colleges which sometimes have a high table and sometimes don't, as having a high table.

The following colleges don't have a high table: Clare Hall, Darwin (both postgraduates only), Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's, Wolfson (all accepting only postgraduates or over-21 undergraduates, with Lucy Cavendish women only). All of these colleges are 'new', i.e. founded in the 19th or 20th centuries.

If someone knows of college that accepts 18-year-old undergraduates and doesn't have a high table, I'd be interested to know! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ambience
Is it true that all colleges which accept 18-year-old undergraduates also have a high table?

And that all colleges which have a high table accept 18-year-old undergraduates?

This is counting all colleges which sometimes have a high table and sometimes don't, as having a high table.

The following colleges don't have a high table: Clare Hall, Darwin (both postgraduates only), Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's, Wolfson (all accepting only postgraduates or over-21 undergraduates, with Lucy Cavendish women only). All of these colleges are 'new', i.e. founded in the 19th or 20th centuries.

If someone knows of college that accepts 18-year-old undergraduates and doesn't have a high table, I'd be interested to know! :smile:

Erm...that's an interesting question, and I'm not sure how you'd go about finding out! (Where did you hear this from?)

I think since High Table is quite a "traditional" thing which is part of formal dinners, it's probable that most of the (older) colleges will have it, and since those colleges accept 18 year olds, the "colleges for 18 year olds" will have a High Table.

Is there any reason in particular why you're asking? The Fellows aren't particularly intrusive at formal, so I wouldn't let that sway you! :smile:
Reply 3785
Hey everyone! I'm an American college senior applying to Cambridge University for a taught degree for the coming fall (MPhil in Early Modern European History), and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed and bewildered by having to choose among all of the colleges. :confused: However, after looking around on the Web it seems that it's a bad idea to let them randomly choose a college for you. I'm looking for an older college with nice gardens and architecture (no modern architecture for me lol), one that's near the main university buildings, and one that has a good 'History reputation' (faculty based there, etc). If anyone here knows the Cambridge college system well and could advise me I would be FOREVER grateful!! Please help!
Sincerely, a very confused American :frown:
There's a lot more to a Cambridge college than just accommodation! I'll ask for this to be moved over the Cambridge forums rather than the student accommodation forum.
Original post by ecurryst
Hey everyone! I'm an American college senior applying to Cambridge University for a taught degree for the coming fall (MPhil in Early Modern European History), and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed and bewildered by having to choose among all of the colleges. :confused: However, after looking around on the Web it seems that it's a bad idea to let them randomly choose a college for you. I'm looking for an older college with nice gardens and architecture (no modern architecture for me lol), one that's near the main university buildings, and one that has a good 'History reputation' (faculty based there, etc). If anyone here knows the Cambridge college system well and could advise me I would be FOREVER grateful!! Please help!

You'd probably prefer a central college then since those tend to be older. I haven't heard of a college with a history reputation.

Unlike many unis, there is no "main university buildings" as such. You'll probably be studying on the Sidgwick site so if you just want a short walk, King's or Selwyn might suit you. If you don't mind a little further walk and want to be in the city centre, Trinity, Tit Hall, Caius, Christ's, Jesus, Pembroke are all close enough and are "old".
Reply 3788
I'm studying AS levels at the moment and doing some HE research when I can. I am going to apply for Cambridge for a 2014 place to study Engineering but I have no idea which college to apply for.

Music is a big part of my life so that'll definitely come into consideration.

Any recommendations with reasons would be brilliant.

(I don't want to start a "which college is best" fight!)

I love to work and study. but I go out ALOT. hipster/indie/house/dub college scene ????
scared of applying to a college where nobody is like me ?
Sorry about the first post. I have no idea about cambridge and posted this in the wrong sub-forum. myyyyyyyyyy bad all thought to be fair, I can't see any of them not having anyone who likes to party (:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by missloki2009
I love to work and study. but I go out ALOT. hipster/indie/house/dub college scene ????
scared of applying to a college where nobody is like me ?

There's always going to be a good mix of people whichever college you apply to, so I wouldn't worry about that. There are plenty of indie nights in Cambridge bars/ pubs and some colleges run regular alternative music nights which are open to all members of the university, so there are always lots of opportunities to go out if you like that sort of music. However, it must be said that indie/dub/house-speific club nights are not the most popular among Cambridge students, apart from when Fez is running Rudimental on a Thursday, which is always very busy. Most of the clubs will play pretty standard commercial dance music and cheese.

Every club has its most popular nights among students:
Sunday: Life/Fez/Lola Lo
Monday: Fez
Tuesday: Cindies
Wednesday: Cindies
Thursday: Lola Lo or sometimes Fez if it's hosting Rudimental
Friday: Clare Ents followed by Life
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
There's always going to be a good mix of people whichever college you apply to, so I wouldn't worry about that. There are plenty of indie nights in Cambridge bars/ pubs and some colleges run regular alternative music nights which are open to all members of the university, so there are always lots of opportunities to go out if you like that sort of music. However, it must be said that indie/dub/house-speific club nights are not the most popular among Cambridge students, apart from when Fez is running Rudimental on a Thursday, which is always very busy. Most of the clubs will play pretty standard commercial dance music and cheese.

this is sooo on point :tongue:
Original post by Ho Chi Minh

This post looks fairly accurate to me. :smile:
Original post by ecurryst

This info from the Churchill undergrad admissions pages may be helpful to you:
The misconception that Churchill is a science-obsessed college where no arts student can ever survive needlessly deters strong applicants who, in fact, may stand a better chance of being offered a conditional place here than they would at colleges more strongly associated with History. Christ's and Caius, for example, are strong History colleges, but are routinely deluged with applications, causing a great many hopeful candidates to be disappointed. In every instance, a direct applicant to Churchill can expect to have their forms scrutinized very carefully among the handful of others we receive each year, and it would be very unlikely that he or she would not be invited to an interview.

Both Christ's and Caius are quite central and old, although neither is on the river, which is where the most picturesque colleges tend to be. But, as Churchill suggests, the obvious colleges for each subject tend to be more heavily oversubscribed at least at undergrad level. Churchill is of course a modern college.

However, if I were you I would go through every college website's grad admissions pages very carefully to see if there's stuff there that can help you decide. It's worth a few hours to check it out.
Original post by questingvole
Which colleges are good for basketball players? By good I mean have a good team and/or have a basketball court nearby.

Well if want to know which colleges have the best teams the college leagues tables can be found here: http://cubbc.org.uk/?page_id=99

In terms of access to courts all the college league games are played at a central location, currently Kelsey Kerridge Sport Centre. If you're a more serious basketball player you may want to consider trying out for the university teams. They currently play and train in Kelsey Kerridge, but I think they may move to the new West Cambridge Sports Centre in the near future.
Reply 3796
Hi guys, I am an international student from New Zealand. I am hoping to apply for medicine in Cambridge and I'm just wondering which college in Cambridge accepts the most oversea med student? I've heard some college takes 1 while others 2.

May someone share the information of which college accepts 2 oversea students for medicine and further more the link to find such information since I can't find any around.

Thanks everybody in advance.
Original post by jmil96
I'm studying AS levels at the moment and doing some HE research when I can. I am going to apply for Cambridge for a 2014 place to study Engineering but I have no idea which college to apply for.

Music is a big part of my life so that'll definitely come into consideration.

Any recommendations with reasons would be brilliant.

(I don't want to start a "which college is best" fight!)

If your rich trinity is the place for you :wink:
Original post by jmil96

This might help as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Latest