Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
blu-neve
Now that I've gone through all their webpages, the list has shrunken to:
- King's
- St. John's
- Christ's
please help... :o:

is it possible to take a year abroad when doing linguistics?
general question: could i study linguistics AND psychology?

Not King's; that's where I'm applying, and I don't want too much competition :p:
fumblewomble
Downing has some pretty amazing accommodation.

Chruchill has its sports fields on site, which is handy.

I suggest that you look at the college facilities on the TSR college wikis (click on the college names under 'Colleges' on this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Cambridge). The lists of facilities are always towards the bottom of the page.

Generally speaking, the more modern buildings have ensuite rooms. Most colleges have at least some but the proportion of ensuite will vary.

are there ducks at trinity?
:cool:
King's for me is by far the best out of that list.
Reply 1243
Well yea, King's sounds best... they only admit 2 students though ... (do you know, how many usually apply for linguistics?)... the other colleges don't mention how many they admit... does anyone know that?
You want good accomodation, sports facilities and ducks? Jeez...

One thing to bear in mind is if you want better, en-suite accomodation you will have to pay for the privilege, particularly at the newer colleges!
Reply 1245
Have you even looked properly? Cambridge has masses of information on applicant numbers broken down by college. They mention it repeatedly in their literature.
I think i've chosen Downing (for medicine)..Is that a good choice everyone?
_Andrew_

There really is no such thing as a bad choice of College at Cambridge, as long as it suits what you want.
Trinity's accommodation is quite good with about half of all rooms having an ensuite. It's also some of the cheapest in Cambridge - an ensuite there will cost you around £829 per term whereas others will charge around £1300.
Well, I don't know much about Trinity - the rooms I've seen have all been pretty nice, but I've not seen many! They have some off-site stuff on Grange Road, which is not really far away, but as almost all of John's is on site, I guess you could count that as a difference.

John's I have more experience of, as my ex was there. I would say that the truth lies somewhere between the two extremes you've heard. Many of the rooms are very spacious, almost all are on site (I think a handful of second years have to live out, and that's not far away), and there's a reasonable number of gyp rooms/bathrooms for the ones which aren't en-suite. En-suites definitely exist, though you most likely wouldn't get one to yourself until 3rd year. The sharing thing is sort-of true - most people will share in 2nd year at least, but it's not actually sharing a room - it's a set of two rooms, so you have your own bedroom/study but one of you will have to walk through the other's to get out usually. As for renovations, it's not all brand spanking new, but I wouldn't say it was falling apart. Cripps is hideous, yes, but the rooms themselves always seemed ok. Rents are pretty high though, compared with many other colleges.
Reply 1250
I am slightly in the habit of getting all you TSRians to do my research for me, so I was just wondering if you could help me pick a shortlist of colleges...
I'm looking for:

Old Architecture
Near the centre
Ideally near the river
slightly off the beaten track
Mixed
near languages

Thanks!
_Andrew_

Rumour goes that they love their BMAT scores.
Jonty99
Rumour goes that they love their BMAT scores.

Eeeeeek:eek: Really? What college are you applying to?
_Andrew_
Eeeeeek:eek: Really? What college are you applying to?

Lol I'd rather not say... Anonymity etc. :p: :biggrin:

Well, yeah, apparantly the "big" medicine Colleges, ie, Caius, Emma, Downing, all REALLY like the BMAT. But I dunno, I could be wrong. It's what I've read on the internet, but you know, you can't always trust people on the internet...
Jonty99
Lol I'd rather not say... Anonymity etc. :p: :biggrin:

Well, yeah, apparantly the "big" medicine Colleges, ie, Caius, Emma, Downing, all REALLY like the BMAT. But I dunno, I could be wrong. It's what I've read on the internet, but you know, you can't always trust people on the internet...

I see, well now I'm torn between Downing and Corpus!:s-smilie: How much bearing does the BMAT have, once you are the interivew stage - do you know?
_Andrew_
I see, well now I'm torn between Downing and Corpus!:s-smilie: How much bearing does the BMAT have, once you are the interivew stage - do you know?

Hmm I think at all Colleges, the BMAT will be very important at the interview stage.

Basically, I think if you ace the BMAT, you can get away with a slightly poor interview. But, if you don't do too well in the BMAT, you'd need a great interview to make up for it.
Churchill would be my utterly unbiased opinion.
Reply 1257
blu-neve
Well yea, King's sounds best... they only admit 2 students though ... (do you know, how many usually apply for linguistics?)... the other colleges don't mention how many they admit... does anyone know that?

This is the first year; no-one's ever applied for linguistics before! There's always the pool though if they can't take you but think you should still be going to Cambridge/
Reply 1258
So I'm the only person that thinks they're all good? >.>
Trinity accommodation seemed good. The room I stayed in (Angel Court) for interview was enormous, but didn't have lots of storage (had a lot of desk area, though, and the sink was in a very small ante-room). A friend stayed in Wolfson for his interview, and I had a test there - the building's ugly from the outside, but was very modern (lots of glass, things on the walls, clearly fairly recently painted) and well-looking inside. He said the room was good.

Quick Reply

Latest