dazedconfused
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi, could i have some help pleaseeee, i am so confused
7. In this question, the unit vector i is horizontal and the unit vector j is vertically upwards. All forces are in newtons.

A small, heavy box is suspended in mid-air and is held in equilibrium by the tension in a light inextensible string and a horizontal force, as shown in the diagram.

The tension in the string is T1, where T1 = 30i + 49j. The horizontal force is F1, where F1 = pi.

(i) Write down the value of p and show that the mass of the box is 5 kg. [3]

(ii) Calculate the magnitude of T1 and the angle that T1 makes with the horizontal.
[3]
Another force F2 = 48i – 87j is now applied to the box. The force F1 still acts and the box is still in equilibrium.

(iii) The new tension in the string is T2 = ai + bj. Calculate the values of a and b. [2]
dazedconfused
Rep:
?
Name:  helpls.png
Views: 252
Size:  9.6 KB
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dazedconfused)
Name:  helpls.png
Views: 252
Size:  9.6 KB
Have you tried equating i components, then j components?
dazedconfused
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Have you tried equating i components, then j components?
for part i??
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
for part i??
Yes
dazedconfused
Rep:
?
Yes
i feel really annoying but could you please explain by what you mean when you say equating the i and j components?? i would appereciate it alot
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i feel really annoying but could you please explain by what you mean when you say equating the i and j components?? i would appereciate it alot
The tension in the string is T1, where T1 = 30i + 49j. The horizontal force is F1, where F1 = pi.

I can't do it for you, it's against the rules, but put the i part of T1 = to the i part of F1.

Then the j component must equal what other force?
dazedconfused
Rep:
?

I can't do it for you, it's against the rules, but put the i part of T1 = to the i part of F1.

Then the j component must equal what other force?
OHHHH then j is vertical force which is the weight
dazedconfused
Rep:
?
OHHHH then j is vertical force which is the mass
how had i not seen this omg thank you, i've actually done the rest of the questions, thank youuuu for your help
stephja2004
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
how had i not seen this omg thank you, i've actually done the rest of the questions, thank youuuu for your help
Pleaseeeeee please please can someone help me with this question?? im so confused
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by stephja2004)
Pleaseeeeee please please can someone help me with this question?? im so confused
This thread is a year old, but have you followed the hints given above to answer the first part?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed