ag889
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi,
I’m considering german a level but I haven’t taken German as a gcse. I have knowledge in german, as I study it independently and have my own gcse textbook. Still, I’m scared about feeling less experienced than the other students who have probably been studying for 3+ years.

I’d like to study an English international course at a german university and many require a language to be studied. Also, I would like to learn german (for free) in a classroom setting so I can become much more knowledgable about it and be able to get around easily and be well prepared if I am to study abroad.

Another problem though, I really hate speaking exams! I take Spanish currently and I like the writing, reading and listening but I can’t tolerate the speaking at all. I get way too nervous and can’t think. :/ Maybe this will improve if I’m taking a language that I actually like but I still have to consider it. It wouldn’t put me off AS entirely though.

Any advice? Thanks
JasmineC30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ag889)
Hi,
I’m considering german a level but I haven’t taken German as a gcse. I have knowledge in german, as I study it independently and have my own gcse textbook. Still, I’m scared about feeling less experienced than the other students who have probably been studying for 3+ years.

I’d like to study an English international course at a german university and many require a language to be studied. Also, I would like to learn german (for free) in a classroom setting so I can become much more knowledgable about it and be able to get around easily and be well prepared if I am to study abroad.

Another problem though, I really hate speaking exams! I take Spanish currently and I like the writing, reading and listening but I can’t tolerate the speaking at all. I get way too nervous and can’t think. :/ Maybe this will improve if I’m taking a language that I actually like but I still have to consider it. It wouldn’t put me off AS entirely though.

Any advice? Thanks
I do German A level and did it for GCSE, personally I found the jump from GCSE to AS level quite difficult, but you soon settle in. If you are really passionate and dedicated to doing extra study, then go for it. Speak to teachers if you haven't already. I would say just make sure you have a solid understanding of GCSE German grammar. Once you know how the language works, it is much easier to learn more complex grammar and vocabulary covered at A level. And I get really nervous for speaking too, but you'll have more opportunities to practice at A level, you'll become more confident and your level of speaking will improve massively!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads