Abdiquani
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello i am seeking advice on my future options that i am potentially considering, i have a psychology background at undergrad level and i have a masters in African Studies, but the thought crossed my mind to consider doing a engineering conversion course at masters level, particularly as the entry requirements is that all you need is to have taken either a maths or science related degree, as psychology is considered a bachelors of science it fits that requirement, what i am therefore seeking to understand is whether this is a feasible and wise option for me to consider? Thank you
username4832702
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What type of engineering?

I'd speak to the admissions dept for the university you're interested in

Why the sudden change of mind from psychology, where did you get your undergrad by the way?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abdiquani)
Hello i am seeking advice on my future options that i am potentially considering, i have a psychology background at undergrad level and i have a masters in African Studies, but the thought crossed my mind to consider doing a engineering conversion course at masters level, particularly as the entry requirements is that all you need is to have taken either a maths or science related degree, as psychology is considered a bachelors of science it fits that requirement, what i am therefore seeking to understand is whether this is a feasible and wise option for me to consider? Thank you
You will have to ask each individual university. To be honest, I don't think you stand much chance, just because something gets a BSc title doesn't mean it evidences ability to do an engineering degree. But you might find a niche degree somewhere. I'd narrow my options by asking though, don't just make speculative applications or you will be wasting a lot of effort.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abdiquani)
The only engineering related area I could see you going into as a psychology grad would be ergonomics/human factors engineering, which has a fair intersection with psychology and is a pretty major area of industry. A psychology degree almost certainly wouldn't count as a "science" degree for the purposes of an engineering masters expecting a maths or science background; if your degree had no calculus in it, it probably isn't sufficient background for most engineering masters courses unless it is in some area like ergonomics or management maybe.

In the UK however you can get full funding from SFE for a second degree in a STEM area if it's undertaken part-time; you could then do a part-time engineering degree, and use the rest of your time to try and find work experience opportunities (or even long term employment) in an engineering/related role. This would make you very employable on graduation, since grads with engineering degrees are a dime a dozen, but those with such a degree and a good amount of work experience are considerably rarer (and much more sough after by recruiters).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads