SF saying the start date on my father's contracts isn't there when it clearly is Watch

HellKnight
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have no idea what to do now. To make it short, I applied as a child of an EU migrant worker, SFW changed the terms of the evidence I would need to send, I ended up sending the first piece at the start of October, took them 30 days to ask for more evidence, then I sent what they told me to. Just over 28 working days later, I get an email that they need even more evidence, despite telling me previously that they don't. And I got the documents (2 contracts of employment and 2 P45s), sent them with recorded delivery, and waited almost a month for a reply. My dad is still working.

Just today, I received an email that said that they could not accept the contracts because the start date was not written. Except it was... I took photos before I sent the documents, and the starting date which my dad and his employer signed on the last page of the contract. I called to ask why they rejected my documents, explained that the start date was written on the very last page, and the adviser replied that, apparently, the date when he started working for the agencies and the day when he signed the contracts, are completely different things.

Excuse me, but in what world does that make sense? When you sign a contract, you immediately become employed to the company. I even sent these useless pricks all of his payslips,and that is not enough proof?Where should I go from here? At this point, I refuse to believe that this isn't deliberate. My anxiety is the worst it has ever been, and in the end, if Student Finance rejects my funding, I will have to owe the uni £9000 tuition which I don't have. Apart from contacting the money advisers at my uni, what are my options?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HellKnight)
I have no idea what to do now. To make it short, I applied as a child of an EU migrant worker, SFW changed the terms of the evidence I would need to send, I ended up sending the first piece at the start of October, took them 30 days to ask for more evidence, then I sent what they told me to. Just over 28 working days later, I get an email that they need even more evidence, despite telling me previously that they don't. And I got the documents (2 contracts of employment and 2 P45s), sent them with recorded delivery, and waited almost a month for a reply. My dad is still working.

Just today, I received an email that said that they could not accept the contracts because the start date was not written. Except it was... I took photos before I sent the documents, and the starting date which my dad and his employer signed on the last page of the contract. I called to ask why they rejected my documents, explained that the start date was written on the very last page, and the adviser replied that, apparently, the date when he started working for the agencies and the day when he signed the contracts, are completely different things.

Excuse me, but in what world does that make sense? When you sign a contract, you immediately become employed to the company. I even sent these useless pricks all of his payslips,and that is not enough proof?Where should I go from here? At this point, I refuse to believe that this isn't deliberate. My anxiety is the worst it has ever been, and in the end, if Student Finance rejects my funding, I will have to owe the uni £9000 tuition which I don't have. Apart from contacting the money advisers at my uni, what are my options?
What are the dates involved?
The relevant date I believe will be when he starts work as only then does he become an employee.
The preceding period they are just in an agreement to employ.
Signing with an agency means very little, unless they are paying him for that immediately.
You are looking at the date he started working i.e he was obliged to turn up and they started paying him.

Are they saying he didnt start work in time?
Go and see your SU advisor, you can then narrow down exactly what they want and check to see what you can prove.

Uni wont be £9000, more likely 2 terms or 75% of that.

UKCisa
Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
KittyN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can sign a contract before becoming employed by a company. You often sign a contract, and then work your notice (often 2-3 weeks) at your old company, and then start working for the new company. I'm afraid the date you sign a contract isn't proof you started working there on that date.
HellKnight
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What are the dates involved?
The relevant date I believe will be when he starts work as only then does he become an employee.
The preceding period they are just in an agreement to employ.
Signing with an agency means very little, unless they are paying him for that immediately.
You are looking at the date he started working i.e he was obliged to turn up and they started paying him.

Are they saying he didnt start work in time?
Go and see your SU advisor, you can then narrow down exactly what they want and check to see what you can prove.

Uni wont be £9000, more likely 2 terms or 75% of that.

UKCisa
Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 between 1pm and 4pm (UK time) between Monday and Friday, except for public holidays.
Having to pay £6750 in tuition does not make it better at all. And yeah, I will just write an email to both agencies and ask if they can send a letter that confirms everything I need. Worst case scenario, I will just send change my application to EU student so that I get the tuition sorted out. Just in case, I have made an appointment with the money support team of my uni. Hopefully all goes well.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
Having to pay £6750 in tuition does not make it better at all. And yeah, I will just write an email to both agencies and ask if they can send a letter that confirms everything I need. Worst case scenario, I will just send change my application to EU student so that I get the tuition sorted out. Just in case, I have made an appointment with the money support team of my uni. Hopefully all goes well.
1. I was merely pointing it out as you said 9k, which would be inaccurate
2. It may actually be nothing if as a child of an EU worker you get fees.
3. You should first clarify with SFE what they want and that means understanding the dates they refer to.
4. You should contact UKcisa if you have any confusion , then contact the agencies I would be hopeful about how willing agencies are to help.
HellKnight
Rep:
?
1. I was merely pointing it out as you said 9k, which would be inaccurate
2. It may actually be nothing if as a child of an EU worker you get fees.
3. You should first clarify with SFE what they want and that means understanding the dates they refer to.
4. You should contact UKcisa if you have any confusion , then contact the agencies I would be hopeful about how willing agencies are to help.
My tuition fees are blocked right now, and I am not sure if I can safely switch to just an EU student. I have written an email to the agencies, and I contacted Student Finance. They told me that for the contracts, they need the date which he started working, and for the P45 letter, they need the date in which he left the agencies. Thank you for the information, I will give UKcisa and the agencies a call tomorrow.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
My tuition fees are blocked right now, and I am not sure if I can safely switch to just an EU student. I have written an email to the agencies, and I contacted Student Finance. They told me that for the contracts, they need the date which he started working, and for the P45 letter, they need the date in which he left the agencies. Thank you for the information, I will give UKcisa and the agencies a call tomorrow.
You are going to have to work with sfe so you are methodical
and thorough so every day is covered. You cant afford to make assumptions.
Emails are easy to ignore and id rather work with a human being but you can give it a go. I dont see the agencies going out of their way to help as its not their concern. They might help but be sure you know what it is you want and you are sure they can provide it. Singing up with an agency is not the same as being employed. You are employed on an agreed start date by the employer. You need to get a timeline and check all those days are covered because if not there will be recalculations. It can get complicated.
HellKnight
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
You are going to have to work with sfe so you are methodical
and thorough so every day is covered. You cant afford to make assumptions.
Emails are easy to ignore and id rather work with a human being but you can give it a go. I dont see the agencies going out of their way to help as its not their concern. They might help but be sure you know what it is you want and you are sure they can provide it. Singing up with an agency is not the same as being employed. You are employed on an agreed start date by the employer. You need to get a timeline and check all those days are covered because if not there will be recalculations. It can get complicated.
It is already complicated but I have sent SF all of the evidence I can possibly get. The agencies are way too busy to write letters and print documents for someone who worked there for a couple of months. I felt awkward even asking them for it. So if they deny the evidence I send them, I am going to take legal action for something that is obviously discrimination on their part. I have already contacted my local MP, the university has got my back, and if things do not progress within a month, I will even contact the European Commission, since EU law is still in place until the end of the year.
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
It is already complicated but I have sent SF all of the evidence I can possibly get. The agencies are way too busy to write letters and print documents for someone who worked there for a couple of months. I felt awkward even asking them for it. So if they deny the evidence I send them, I am going to take legal action for something that is obviously discrimination on their part. I have already contacted my local MP, the university has got my back, and if things do not progress within a month, I will even contact the European Commission, since EU law is still in place until the end of the year.
Ok,

As far as they are concerned the riles expect you to prove to them every single day you met the criteria laid down by the rules, so if you met 98 out of 100 then you havent met the criteria and they have to decide what to do.

If you are going to take legal action then how are you going to pay for it?
Why is it discrimination?
You have to prove they have applied the rules incorrectly.

What did Ukcisa say?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.16%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.97%
No (87)
48.88%

Watched Threads