Ableist: Long Bailey called brain-damaged constituent a "practical vegetable" Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...ses-describing

Is this a respectful term for a human being?
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ni hao ma?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Considering it was someone she had secured better care for I will let her off for what is a minor issue at best.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Taken out of context. Not the wisest choice of words but I highly doubt she is an abelist. The media is chucking everything at her because she's an Irish catholic and has faith. They did the same to Tim Farron of the Lib Dems.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Taken out of context. Not the wisest choice of words but I highly doubt she is an abelist. The media is chucking everything at her because she's an Irish catholic and has faith. They did the same to Tim Farron of the Lib Dems.
Nothing to do with her faith and everything to do with being Corbyn 2.0.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Nothing to do with her faith and everything to do with being Corbyn 2.0.
It is though, they were criticisng her personal opinions on abortion. Obviously as a catholic she is not going to be pro choice, although she believes in seperation of church and state, so her opinions aren't really relevant to the labour manifesto.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
It is though, they were criticisng her personal opinions on abortion. Obviously as a catholic she is not going to be pro choice, although she believes in seperation of church and state, so her opinions aren't really relevant to the labour manifesto.
If she didn't want her personal opinions to be criticised then she should not have aired them in public. Contrary to your reporting she is in fact pro choice however she has issues with full term abortion in cases of disability.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Shouldnt you be defending your fellow maoist?
JWatch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Maybe not the best term she could have used, but there was clearly no offence meant by it. This raises an interesting point, we moan about politicians being out of touch with the common man but then we hound them over every word they say to the point that most of them just stick to official, sanitized PR scripts which always feel fake and unnatural. If we want to encourage better dialogue between the public and our elected politicians I think that means cutting them a bit of slack when they use language which is natural to them, even if it's not the squeaky clean PR stuff we are used to. That is unless they are intending to cause offence, and I think it's clear she wasn't in this case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (478)
59.38%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.34%
No- I want it (231)
28.7%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.58%

Watched Threads