Ology123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi guys,

I know for Maths you need to study Pure Years 1 and 2 and Stats and Mechanics Years 1 and 2. What modules do you have to study for Further Maths?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm assuming Further Pure Years 1 and 2 and Decision Maths Years 1 and 2. What else?
Pangol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Ology123)
Hi guys,

I know for Maths you need to study Pure Years 1 and 2 and Stats and Mechanics Years 1 and 2. What modules do you have to study for Further Maths?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm assuming Further Pure Years 1 and 2 and Decision Maths Years 1 and 2. What else?
Is this the English A Level? Which exam board? They are all slightly different.
Ology123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
Is this the English A Level? Which exam board? They are all slightly different.
Further Maths Edexcel A Level
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Further Maths Edexcel A Level
Sorry, you did have Edexcel in the post title!

These are your options:

Name:  fmedexcel.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  41.1 KB

This is taken from the specification. You have a lot of choice (Edexcel are best for giving you options). You can do DM1 and DM2 if you like, but that would be all you need to do as well as Core Pure 1 and 2. But as you can see, there are lots of other options as well.
Ology123
Rep:
?
Sorry, you did have Edexcel in the post title!

These are your options:

Name:  fmedexcel.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  41.1 KB

This is taken from the specification. You have a lot of choice (Edexcel are best for giving you options). You can do DM1 and DM2 if you like, but that would be all you need to do as well as Core Pure 1 and 2. But as you can see, there are lots of other options as well.
Thank you for your reply! So if I wanted to do A Level Maths and Further Maths, both with Edexcel, I'd have to take the following exams and their respective textbooks?:

Maths:
Papers 1 and 2 for Pure Maths - Textbooks Years 1 and 2 Pure Maths
1 Paper for Stats and Mechanics - Textbooks Years 1 and 2 Stats and Mechanics

Further Maths:
Any of those options you provided in the diagram, excluding the pure maths modules since you'd be taking them for normal Maths?
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you for your reply! So if I wanted to do A Level Maths and Further Maths, both with Edexcel, I'd have to take the following exams and their respective textbooks?:

Maths:
Papers 1 and 2 for Pure Maths - Textbooks Years 1 and 2 Pure Maths
1 Paper for Stats and Mechanics - Textbooks Years 1 and 2 Stats and Mechanics

Further Maths:
Any of those options you provided in the diagram, excluding the pure maths modules since you'd be taking them for normal Maths?
Nearly. You are right about the normal A Level. The pure papers in the diagram are not the same as the ones from the normal A Level - they are pure units for the further maths course. So you have to take Core Pure Mathematics 1 and 2, these are not optional, and are not the same thing as the Pure Mathematics 1 and 2 papers that you take for the normal A Level. You also need to choose two more papers for the further course, from the options in the diagram.
Ology123
Rep:
?
Nearly. You are right about the normal A Level. The pure papers in the diagram are not the same as the ones from the normal A Level - they are pure units for the further maths course. So you have to take Core Pure Mathematics 1 and 2, these are not optional, and are not the same thing as the Pure Mathematics 1 and 2 papers that you take for the normal A Level. You also need to choose two more papers for the further course, from the options in the diagram.
Thank you very much for the clarification! What would you suggest for the further maths options?
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you very much for the clarification! What would you suggest for the further maths options?
It depends what you like. It sounds as if you are self-studying - is this right? If so, I would do all of the normal A Level first, and then you'll have an idea as to how much you like statistics and mechanics. If you love statistics, you can do Further Statistics 1 and 2 and never have to do any mechanics or decision, and similarly but the other way around with mechanics. If you sort-of like them both, you could do Further Statistics 1 and Further Mechanics 1. If you absolutely love pure, you could do Further Pure 1 and 2 and never do any applied units. (Warning - these units are not easy). And if you want a bit of a break, the decision units are easier, but less interesting, although they are a good choice for anyone interested in computer science.

If you are going to be doing the normal and pure courses side-by-side, that makes things much more difficult, but I won't go into that unless you say that you have to do it this way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (162)
14.46%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.46%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.57%

Watched Threads