Student loan overpaid and now I don't have enough money to live on? Watch

abbie d
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've had to repeat a module this year, and it's one that only starts this semester, I did call to tell Student Finance about the situation in September but apparently it didn't go through or something because I got a letter in December telling me I'd been overpaid. I assumed that was about the tuition fees because I wasn't in classes, but I was still enrolled at the university and still had to pay rent and feed myself so I just kind of assumed I'd still get the maintenance loan? And then I also assumed that the overpayment would be added to the money I pay back after graduating.

Anyway, obviously I was wrong. Because I was overpaid, this semester they took the money out of my maintenance loan and now I only have about £200 to live on until the next one (I was already overdrawn £400 for January's rent because there were issues getting them to prove I was still a student so I got the loan late and February's rent just came out.)

I honestly don't know what to do now. I have another 2 months of £400 rent, as well as food and travel expenses to uni. I've been trying to get a job, but I was trying all last semester and nothing came of it (got some interviews, never went further). I've looked up private student loan companies but none seem to exist in the UK and I don't really want to get into even more debt. At this point any suggestions as to how I can sort this are welcome.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you got a student bank account with Santander?

They give undergraduates a £1,500 interest-free overdraft for 4 years (course duration + one year after graduation). It definitely helped me out when rent was due before I received my loan instalment.

In your case it’ll buy you time to find a job to give you a stable income
abbie d
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I do have that, but I'm already a little overdrawn now and I'm worried that if I can't find a job before April that I'll go over the £1500 limit and get into more debt, and even if that doesn't happen, the next payment will cover it but then I'll only have ~£1000 to last until September which means I'll go overdrawn again, and that the cycle will just keep repeating. This isn't me just being pessimistic, I genuinely have been applying to every job I can for months but it's never gone beyond an interview and I'm worried it never will.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
23.76%
No, but I have thought about it (56)
27.72%
No (98)
48.51%

Watched Threads