The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for over 25s

Hello,

I am wanting some advice regarding maintenance loans for parents (I'm 26) who currently claim Universal Credit.
I currently claim for one child and receive £549.49 each month, still live with my parents who do not support me or my little one financially.

He will be 2 this August and I am planning on placing him in nursery when I am at university, will be studying Adult Nursing.

With the upcoming SFE applications I have tried putting into the eligible checker and cannot find any option to chose living with parents, im 26 and have a child?
I am aware I will more than likely lose my universal credit, could someone tell me if this might be the case?

Additionally, what I may receive in Maintenance Loan from SFE?
Its my first degree also is that helps.

Apologies for the rambling on, I'm unsure if I select living away from parents, living with parents?? Just as it asks for the annual household income, do I put what I receive annually from UC even though this may be reduced/stopped when starting uni?
Original post by mollyallison
Hello,

I am wanting some advice regarding maintenance loans for parents (I'm 26) who currently claim Universal Credit.
I currently claim for one child and receive £549.49 each month, still live with my parents who do not support me or my little one financially.

He will be 2 this August and I am planning on placing him in nursery when I am at university, will be studying Adult Nursing.

With the upcoming SFE applications I have tried putting into the eligible checker and cannot find any option to chose living with parents, im 26 and have a child?
I am aware I will more than likely lose my universal credit, could someone tell me if this might be the case?

Additionally, what I may receive in Maintenance Loan from SFE?
Its my first degree also is that helps.

Apologies for the rambling on, I'm unsure if I select living away from parents, living with parents?? Just as it asks for the annual household income, do I put what I receive annually from UC even though this may be reduced/stopped when starting uni?

Hi there!

After doing a bit of research for you any child benefits that you receive for your child shouldn't be affected by study or student based funding. However, if your Universal Credit is to fund yourself then it could be reduced or taken away altogether depending on how much you are eligible for from Student Finance.

On your actual application to Student Finance there should definitely be an option that demonstrates you living with parents, I lived with my parents when I went to university and I know 100% that I was able to tell Student Finance of my living situation.

As for how much maintenance loan you would be eligible for, that is calculated per applicant and not really generic for circumstances so you will have to complete an application and go from there.

Alternatively, call Student Finance and have a chat with them - they are great and can answer all easy and complicated questions that you may have.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending