Emsyb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi!

I really need some advice. I’m in fourth year and choosing my subjects for higher soon, I’m currently on the fence on whether to choose Art or Mods. I’m hoping to study English Lit at uni. The universities I’m working towards all require 5 A’s at Higher. The other subjects I’m going to take are History, English, German & Philosophy. I’d really like to take Higher Art, however, although I think I can do art, I’m not super talented in it. I don’t want to take the risk if it’s going to affect my uni chances. So, sorry about this long explanation for a simple question, but should I take higher art or mods? Is Higher art very difficult to get an A in? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
anisha211
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
Hi!

I really need some advice. I’m in fourth year and choosing my subjects for higher soon, I’m currently on the fence on whether to choose Art or Mods. I’m hoping to study English Lit at uni. The universities I’m working towards all require 5 A’s at Higher. The other subjects I’m going to take are History, English, German & Philosophy. I’d really like to take Higher Art, however, although I think I can do art, I’m not super talented in it. I don’t want to take the risk if it’s going to affect my uni chances. So, sorry about this long explanation for a simple question, but should I take higher art or mods? Is Higher art very difficult to get an A in? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
hey! one of y friends had exactly that problem this year. highers affect your acceptance at uni more than advanced highers do so i would recommend taking whatever subject you feel that you can do better in. for english lit at uni, i think if i were you i would probably go for modern studies because 1) i really enjoy it and it is super interesting, 2) i am not creative at all (like at all) and 3) i just think it's more relevant to english lit than art???? i don't know. do you struggle in modern studies - because if you do than do not take it. the worst thing you want is to take a subject that you don't enjoy and you know that you will not get a good score on the exam for it and then mess up your uni chances. history and modern studies are quite compatible together so yea, that would be the choice for me. but obviously it's up to you.

also if you end up taking higher art, i should tell you the workload is quite demanding. i've got friends in S5 taking higher art and they have to work during every spare time they have like lunch and PSE classes. you might have to do work outside of class. you will have to learn how to balance the time for higher art. if you enjoy art and are reasonable good at it then consider taking it but I wouldn't bother doing it for the sake of an extra higher. they say it can get a bit stressful with deadlines.

sorry for the long answer...it's your choice at the end. hope this helps!!
Emsyb
Rep:
?
(Original post by anisha211)
hey! one of y friends had exactly that problem this year. highers affect your acceptance at uni more than advanced highers do so i would recommend taking whatever subject you feel that you can do better in. for english lit at uni, i think if i were you i would probably go for modern studies because 1) i really enjoy it and it is super interesting, 2) i am not creative at all (like at all) and 3) i just think it's more relevant to english lit than art???? i don't know. do you struggle in modern studies - because if you do than do not take it. the worst thing you want is to take a subject that you don't enjoy and you know that you will not get a good score on the exam for it and then mess up your uni chances. history and modern studies are quite compatible together so yea, that would be the choice for me. but obviously it's up to you.

also if you end up taking higher art, i should tell you the workload is quite demanding. i've got friends in S5 taking higher art and they have to work during every spare time they have like lunch and PSE classes. you might have to do work outside of class. you will have to learn how to balance the time for higher art. if you enjoy art and are reasonable good at it then consider taking it but I wouldn't bother doing it for the sake of an extra higher. they say it can get a bit stressful with deadlines.

sorry for the long answer...it's your choice at the end. hope this helps!!
Thank you so much for the advice - it’s much appreciated! I do agree with you and completely see your points. I do enjoy mods and I can be quite good at it if I put the work in. In your opinion, is Higher mods hard to get an A in?
Thank you again!
anisha211
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emsyb)
Thank you so much for the advice - it’s much appreciated! I do agree with you and completely see your points. I do enjoy mods and I can be quite good at it if I put the work in. In your opinion, is Higher mods hard to get an A in?
Thank you again!
No problem! Honestly, for me personally, I don't think it's hard to get an A in higher modern studies at all - just because they are only so many questions that you could be asked in the exam (if you know what I mean??) For example in Maths you have to apply your knowledge of a topic to answer a question. Or for English you have to think about synonyms an powerful vocab, etc. In modern studies you kind of just memorize everything and blurt whatever is relevant to the exam on the paper. I might not be making any sense I'm so sorry I'm terrible at explaining things . Anyways, again, there's only so much that you could be asked abut and if you are good at memorizing and remembering things then getting an A is perfectly achievable. Just put the hard work in.

Hope this helps!!
Emsyb
Rep:
?
(Original post by anisha211)
No problem! Honestly, for me personally, I don't think it's hard to get an A in higher modern studies at all - just because they are only so many questions that you could be asked in the exam (if you know what I mean??) For example in Maths you have to apply your knowledge of a topic to answer a question. Or for English you have to think about synonyms an powerful vocab, etc. In modern studies you kind of just memorize everything and blurt whatever is relevant to the exam on the paper. I might not be making any sense I'm so sorry I'm terrible at explaining things . Anyways, again, there's only so much that you could be asked abut and if you are good at memorizing and remembering things then getting an A is perfectly achievable. Just put the hard work in.

Hope this helps!!
Thank you again! Your advice has seriously helped and I’m pretty sure Higher Mods is the right route for me. I really appreciate you giving up your time to share all this info with me! Have a nice day!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (407)
68.06%
No (191)
31.94%

Watched Threads