The Student Room Group

The Great Gatsby

Hiya guys,

Question: The upper class make a mockery of the American Dream and expose the myth of capitalism. Evaluate this statement from a Marxist point of view.

I am currently taking English Literature A - Level and this is a coursework question that I have came up with.
I have handed in my first draft to my teacher and said that I need to use more quotes and analyse them.
I had decided to use the main protagonists to help me do this however, could any of you help me please increase my grade to an A* as I will struggle in the actual exam...

Thanks in advance.
What a hard question. Do you mean the upper class are making a mockery of the American dream because their money and status were handed to them by birth and they lounge around having fancy parties, cheating on each other and living self-absorbed lives? I guess that makes sense. I don't think capitalism is a myth though, it's very real that you can have the chance to work hard/study/play nasty/get lucky and make lots of money or depending on your situation, be crushed by it. The American dream is more of a myth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending