My school may refuse to issue me a UCAS predicted grade as I did AS outside Watch

Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hallzhuu)
I mean if I do not finish all the A2 FM units before my UCAS application, I will need a prediction for A2, won't I? Now that I have decided to work a bit more to get all A2 FM units done this summer before my application, I indeed don't need a prediction. I reckon this is probably the safest approach to avoid any potential problems.

I am just afraid what the school's reaction will be once I declare my results; I heard my principal and teachers do not like what I have done at all. What do you think? Would you say that this is a serious misbehaviour from the school's point of view?

I really had no other alternative because my school was just not allowing me to sit exams earlier internally, which I (and many other people around me) believe will increase my competitiveness when applying. I heard many other international schools in my country was allowing students to do so, I just don't know what the problem with mine is.
Your achieved grades HAVE to go on your UCAS application so your school have to know, You should have told them a soon as you got the grades - you are wasting money and teacher time 'pretending' you don't have these qualification already Teachers are spending time marking your work etc

If you sit exams again you are resitting which is not a great idea . Time to be honest and do not take exams again if you have top grades.
2500_2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi guys,

I study at a Cambridge International school. In my school, people usually finish A-level Maths in Y12 and A-level Further Maths in Y13.

However, I finished learning the course content by myself much faster than anyone else and my teacher's teaching pace was thus much too slow for me. I applied to my school to do the exams at my school earlier but was refused, probably because they did not trust me.

As a result, I did Edexcel's International A-level Maths and AS-level Further Maths outside of the school without telling any teachers.

Now I got very decent results for both my A-level Maths and AS-level Further Maths, but I am afraid that my school refuse to issue me a predicted A2 grade for my UCAS application because I did not study the subject in my school, especially when it is a different exam board from my school's.

I have not asked my school but I think very probably the answer is no. Has anybody heard anything like this in your school? What was the outcome?

If my school does refuse, is there anything I can do? Any advice or opinion is greatly appreciated.
So you are currently in year 12 studying something, something, maths and further maths? You have an achieved maths A2 and a further maths AS result? But your school doesn't know? Did you parents not think to tell the school?!

The easiest option will be to be honest asap with the school and withdraw from the A2 exam they will have entered you for this summer but do the AS further maths again with the right exam board, then take your 3 A2 exams at the end of yr 13.
It's not like you can hide your results on your UCAS form so the later you leave it the more odd it becomes, and you need to show unis you can manage the workload of 3 Alevels at once. So tell your school now, work out with them if you can free up time from some maths lessons this year to do some super-curriculas that will add to your application.

A more complicated option would be to withdraw from maths at school altogether (which would mean you don't need to tell them about the exams, although they would probably think this very strange) and do further maths entirely independently. This would mean you don't have to take another AS further maths exam. But it would mean you'd need to get a tutor to predict your grade and they and the school would have to liaise on your reference. You'd still need to wait til yr 13 to take A2 so that unis don't think you are spreading the load of learning to make it easier. You could perhaps convince your school to let you take a further subject seeing as you would no longer would be doing maths with them? They may well think it too late for that but it's worth asking.

On your UCAS form you'll need to include all your achieved grades (even further maths AS levels from 2 different exam boards if that's what you end up doing).
TheTroll73
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well the education system sucks

not everyone fits in the educational box
hallzhuu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 2500_2)
So you are currently in year 12 studying something, something, maths and further maths? You have an achieved maths A2 and a further maths AS result? But your school doesn't know? Did you parents not think to tell the school?!

The easiest option will be to be honest asap with the school and withdraw from the A2 exam they will have entered you for this summer but do the AS further maths again with the right exam board, then take your 3 A2 exams at the end of yr 13.
It's not like you can hide your results on your UCAS form so the later you leave it the more odd it becomes, and you need to show unis you can manage the workload of 3 Alevels at once. So tell your school now, work out with them if you can free up time from some maths lessons this year to do some super-curriculas that will add to your application.

A more complicated option would be to withdraw from maths at school altogether (which would mean you don't need to tell them about the exams, although they would probably think this very strange) and do further maths entirely independently. This would mean you don't have to take another AS further maths exam. But it would mean you'd need to get a tutor to predict your grade and they and the school would have to liaise on your reference. You'd still need to wait til yr 13 to take A2 so that unis don't think you are spreading the load of learning to make it easier. You could perhaps convince your school to let you take a further subject seeing as you would no longer would be doing maths with them? They may well think it too late for that but it's worth asking.

On your UCAS form you'll need to include all your achieved grades (even further maths AS levels from 2 different exam boards if that's what you end up doing).
Hi, thank you for your advice.

Yes, I am currently in Y12 studying Physics, Chemistry, History. I am also officially in my school's Maths class but I hardly do any work because, as you know, I already have the result. I am also self-studying FM and have taken AS FM. Having said that, even if I do take A2 FM this summer, I will still be able to have 3 A-levels in Y13. However, I do agree that a better option would be to leave A2 Further to next year.

I will tell my school about my results and ask not to be registered for this summer's Maths exams and I was asking the school if it would agree to give me a predicted grade for my FM and have not yet got a reply. But I really do not want to do AS FM again with the school's exam board. I think I will probably decide after knowing the school's attitude and reply. I will update on the forum once I get my school's reply. Thank you again!
hallzhuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Your achieved grades HAVE to go on your UCAS application so your school have to know, You should have told them a soon as you got the grades - you are wasting money and teacher time 'pretending' you don't have these qualification already Teachers are spending time marking your work etc

If you sit exams again you are resitting which is not a great idea . Time to be honest and do not take exams again if you have top grades.
Thank you. I see. I am going to tell my school very soon when teachers come back from holiday and withdraw from Maths lessons in school. I also do not want to take the exams again. I will try to negotiate with the school and see what they have to say.
hallzhuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You don't need to take all 3 subjects with one provider; you just need to be taking a full complement of exams. Also as stated above predicted grades aren't necessarily required, and if you are unable to get a predicted grade from your school it shouldn't affect your application if they are aware of the situation. I'd recommend when you speak with the CAO that you explain you may not get a predicted grade for one of your subjects from your school as you are sitting it externally. I am sure they will understand.
Okay, but I suppose not having a predicted grade is the last resort, isn't it? I will first try my best to negotiate with the school and if I cannot succeed, I will definitely do what you advised. Thank you again!
hallzhuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTroll73)
well the education system sucks

not everyone fits in the educational box
Yes, I was quite bored by my Maths lessons. And when I talked to my Maths teacher that I have finished learning and know the content well, he did not seem to believe me at all and would not do anything about it.
TheTroll73
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, I was quite bored by my Maths lessons. And when I talked to my Maths teacher that I have finished learning and know the content well, he did not seem to believe me at all and would not do anything about it.
Reminds me of my childhood...

exactly the same happened really for me in math

the excuse the school gave (on keeping me bored to death in math class) is that I should "focus" on subjects I "struggle" with. Did much more harm than good.
SuperFly
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What year are you in? From reading your posts I assume you're in Year 12? What other subjects are you taking? You usually start your UCAS application at the end of Year 12 or start of Year 13 depending on your school. If you're applying for Medicine or Dentistry or any course at Oxford or Cambridge the deadline is in October. Teachers give your predicted grades based on your AS Levels.

If you have achieved top grades in the Mathematics exams you have sat externally I don't see why they shouldn't give you a high predicted grade for your A-Level Further Maths. Even though its not the usual, you're obviously very clever and talented and imo I think it shows how dedicated you are and that you can handle a high workload and even teach yourself - all very good qualities that universities look for. I would say to not let your teachers bully you/refuse to give you decent predicted grades. Get your parents involved if you have to. Even if they don't like you doing the exams externally it doesn't give them the right to refuse to give you a predicted grade or even a bad predicted grade. But I can see why they would argue not to as they didn't teach you the content themselves. But from the grades you have achieved it should be obvious. Did you have a tutor for your external exams you have sat? Maybe they could give the predicted grade?

As this is a unique situation I think it would also be worth calling or emailing the universities admissions department you'd like to apply to, so you know what is acceptable and what they are looking for. They are usually very friendly and will give you the answers you need.Good luck! I hope you get into the university you are hoping for! :-)
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
PQ might be able to help
SuperFly
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, thank you for your advice.

Yes, I am currently in Y12 studying Physics, Chemistry, History. I am also officially in my school's Maths class but I hardly do any work because, as you know, I already have the result. I am also self-studying FM and have taken AS FM. Having said that, even if I do take A2 FM this summer, I will still be able to have 3 A-levels in Y13. However, I do agree that a better option would be to leave A2 Further to next year.

I will tell my school about my results and ask not to be registered for this summer's Maths exams and I was asking the school if it would agree to give me a predicted grade for my FM and have not yet got a reply. But I really do not want to do AS FM again with the school's exam board. I think I will probably decide after knowing the school's attitude and reply. I will update on the forum once I get my school's reply. Thank you again!
Yeah, definitely take yourself out of the all the Maths/Further Maths lessons at school. Carry on with Physics, Chemistry and History. If you think you can do it, do the A2 Further Maths this year. Then at least you have it out of the way. If it's too much, then yes discuss with your school if they can give you a predicted grade for A2 Further Maths, which imo they should if you already have a good AS FM grade.

You definitely need to tell them you've already sat A Level Maths because otherwise you'll just be wasting yours and everyones time! They shouldn't be mad about it though. If you have the means to sit it externally what's it to them.
Last edited by SuperFly; 1 week ago
hallzhuu
Rep:
?
Thank you very much everyone.

After negotiating with my school, they finally agreed to issue me an A2 FM predicted grade provided that I sit a special mock exam at the school, which I believe will just be a super-easy thing to do for me if I work on it.

I have also pulled myself out of the Maths class at school. I am now spending a lot of time working on the STEP exam (so difficult!). Therefore, I will probably leave A2 FM to Y13 and focus on my other subjects and the STEP exam.

So, things have finally worked out for me! Thanks everyone for supporting me these days!
SuperFly
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you very much everyone.

After negotiating with my school, they finally agreed to issue me an A2 FM predicted grade provided that I sit a special mock exam at the school, which I believe will just be a super-easy thing to do for me if I work on it.

I have also pulled myself out of the Maths class at school. I am now spending a lot of time working on the STEP exam (so difficult!). Therefore, I will probably leave A2 FM to Y13 and focus on my other subjects and the STEP exam.

So, things have finally worked out for me! Thanks everyone for supporting me these days!
Congratulations, that is amazing! Good luck with everything :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed