The Student Room Group

Being trans at Swansea uni?

This was over on the Swansea forum but there weren’t really any replies, so I thought I’d post it here. How good is Swansea uni with trans students (both binary & non-binary)? How much support would be given if people have a problem with it? Will they change your name/gender/titles even if you haven’t legally changed that yet? Other unis I’ve looked at have gender neutral bathrooms & some uni halls have an option to select LGBTQ+ and allies for your flatmates, anything like that at Swansea? Would prefer a student’s perspective, but any help would be appreciated, just now hate please. Thank you!
Original post by Disasterinspace
This was over on the Swansea forum but there weren’t really any replies, so I thought I’d post it here. How good is Swansea uni with trans students (both binary & non-binary)? How much support would be given if people have a problem with it? Will they change your name/gender/titles even if you haven’t legally changed that yet? Other unis I’ve looked at have gender neutral bathrooms & some uni halls have an option to select LGBTQ+ and allies for your flatmates, anything like that at Swansea? Would prefer a student’s perspective, but any help would be appreciated, just now hate please. Thank you!

I would suggest you email Swansea Uni student union (you can do so anonymously if you want).

I suspect you will put in your titles/name/gender online when you enrol, so whatever gender/title you select will be the one they use (there will likely be a preferred name box, these are very common especially with international students as well), gender neutral bathrooms are very common in unis but again Swansea can answer specifically for them. Never was asked about LGBTQ+ when I moved into halls, but I suspect the SU can inform you what options they have.

In my experience Unis tend to be a little bit ahead on this when compared to other types of organisations, but every institution is different best thing to do is ask them directly, they'll know the answers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey,

Regarding personnel, staff, things of that nature, above is correct. An email to elaborate on your situation should cover the majority of issues before they arise. I think university to university will probably be generally the same. I know that Sheffield Hallam has a lengthy statement and report on equality and diversity.

Regarding students, however, everyone has an opinion. I imagine the majority of grown-up adults wouldn't bat an eyelid, some may just lack understanding. University has policies against discrimination, so if someone did hypothetically make you uncomfortable, you could report it.

Best of luck!
Joshua :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest