University strikes - what do you think about them as a student? Watch

Poll: Do you think it's right for lecturers to strike?
Yes (552)
46.86%
No (361)
30.65%
I don't care (265)
22.5%
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
I understand why the lecturers are striking and actually totally support them. BUT I resent that this is the second year of my 4 years at uni (I'm also now in my final year) that will be affected.

I think the bigger issue is it feels like the uni's aren't listening to the lecturers and keep telling the students they are doing what they can to mitigate the effects but it doesn't feel like they are.

Having said that, I don't understand why the lecturer strikes can't go ahead during the summer. I understand that it's primarily lecturers striking and obviously a huge impact of their work is the students because we'll kick up a fuss... but they are primarily researchers, at least a my uni. If they striked in the summer, the uni wouldn't reap the benefits of their research which would lower the uni's reputation and to be honest I think the universities might care more about that in some instances.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not in favour of these strikes. The UCU are pushing an agenda here, not responding to the circs in front of them (which we don't yet know, because the valuations are not yet done). They shoehorn in casualisation etc. (something which puts me in a very precarious position financially) but offer no concrete proposals to universities that could be addressed to move forward meaningfully.

The current UCU higherups want no less than total capitulation from the universities on a report that has not yet been made with projections that we do not yet know. It is a coup.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Protostar)
target the higher ups and work with our lecturers to try and make changes. Otherwise they're never going to change anything :dontknow:
Really though who has time for that, maybe in first year but by the time final year rolls around which is who these strikes are most affecting, most people barely have time to do their work let alone fight the 'system' on behalf of other people.
I don't think that is selfish either, we are paying a shedload to be here, it makes sense for you to want to focus on yourself and your education. We aren't here volunteering our own time for the greater good.
Protostar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Really though who has time for that, maybe in first year but by the time final year rolls around which is who these strikes are most affecting, most people barely have time to do their work let alone fight the 'system' on behalf of other people.
I don't think that is selfish either, we are paying a shedload to be here, it makes sense for you to want to focus on yourself and your education. We aren't here volunteering our own time for the greater good.
Even something as small as an email can make a difference if enough people do it. I get what we’re at university for. I also don’t think it’s that crazy to want my lecturers to receive good pay, have good working conditions and a representative pension when they retire. Tbh it is in my best interest as if lecturers are treated better, the quality of my education will improve and so ultimately I’ll get more out of my time at uni. Not to mention the fact there would be fewer strikes and hence disruption to my learning :dontknow:
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
More than a million students could be affected by staff walk outs over 2 weeks - 74 universities are facing cancelled lectures and absences.

Are you going to be affected by this? Do you support the people striking? Are you worried about potential impact on your work? What do you think universities should do?
I support them striking - they have the right to after all, but it is very frustrating when you're paying thousands of pounds and you're relying on your tutors/lecturers to stop you from having a break down and you have no support.
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They're right to strike, but Universities are not right to not refund students for loss of service.
abroadinleeds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by centraltrains)
They're right to strike, but Universities are not right to not refund students for loss of service.
Could you further explain why students are not entitled to compensation for loss of service? Do you mean money wise or through providing class material not given during the strike. I am interested to hear why not.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 day ago
I'm annoyed about it - by the university demanding we still go and swipe in for attendance on the offchance the lecture is going ahead. I'm a mature student, I commute in - by the time I've got into uni for a cancelled lecture I'm down train fare, childcare breakfast club (I only pay that on the days I need it - it's not as if it's booked and paid for regardless), train station parking and 2 hours of travelling. That's a fair cost gone and over the extended duration of the strike action (for ours have decided to miss out reading week for maximum disruption and pain to the students) it really is going to mount up.

Plus some of the behaviour that was going on the last strike days was disgraceful - students being physically prevented from entering buildings by strikers shoulder to shoulder blocking doorways... some of the younger students on our course were pretty shook up by the time they got into the building. That's not on.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm annoyed about it - by the university demanding we still go and swipe in for attendance on the offchance the lecture is going ahead. I'm a mature student, I commute in - by the time I've got into uni for a cancelled lecture I'm down train fare, childcare breakfast club (I only pay that on the days I need it - it's not as if it's booked and paid for regardless), train station parking and 2 hours of travelling. That's a fair cost gone and over the extended duration of the strike action (for ours have decided to miss out reading week for maximum disruption and pain to the students) it really is going to mount up.

Plus some of the behaviour that was going on the last strike days was disgraceful - students being physically prevented from entering buildings by strikers shoulder to shoulder blocking doorways... some of the younger students on our course were pretty shook up by the time they got into the building. That's not on.
You should invoice the uni for these costs (I doubt you'll get anywhere tho...)

Sounds awful wherever this is, they can strike but if they physically stop (or attempt to stop) you entering uni that is breaching the peace surely? id notify uni management.

Ive been watching the picketing on my way into the office everyday and thought the numbers of picketers has noticeably dropped off in this strike compared to the last one (at least here in Nottingham).
Anonymous #4
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by mnot)
You should invoice the uni for these costs (I doubt you'll get anywhere tho...)

Sounds awful wherever this is, they can strike but if they physically stop (or attempt to stop) you entering uni that is breaching the peace surely? id notify uni management.

Ive been watching the picketing on my way into the office everyday and thought the numbers of picketers has noticeably dropped off in this strike compared to the last one (at least here in Nottingham).

Yeah, it's not that far away from Nottingham - but I think since ours didn't strike last time - they're being a bit "enthusiastic" over it all at the moment. I have contacted uni management to let them know that students being blocked from entering buildings isn't really on. At least now we've got a better picture of who is and isn't striking in our department so can moderate our expectations of what sessions are going ahead accordingly now.

I saw the Nottingham picket line last set of strikes (was taking my kid to QMC appointments) and they were behaving perfectly like expected - standing there looking blooming freezing cold to the side of the entrances - ours weren't!

I'm currently going through the topic outlines for the work we're missing and researching around the holes in the knowledge (thankfully they don't take their powerpoints down from one year to the next) so we've got some form of content circulated among ourselves as it's a degree where you can't really miss out half of the relevant organ systems in the human body and just tipp-ex it off the exam paper! I swear if one more keyboard warrior condescendingly explains how university is meant to be self-directed study...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (311)
60.74%
Yes- I don't like it (25)
4.88%