The Student Room Group

Learn Maths A Level in 15 months?

So basically, I started to do Mathematics A level in September, first year, 12. However, I eventually got my butt kicked off the course in late September as I got a 6 in the GCSE but I wasn't very good as I hadn't gotten much good support in Maths in the GCSE (different school). My new school couldn't offer Economics A level this year as the teacher was pregnant (ffs) so I had to do Sociology instead.

So firstly, and I don't completely hate the subject, but I don't need Sociology compared to any of my future career paths, including computing. And secondly, it's an essay subject, and though I would continue it, the essays are very tiring and studying is demotivating since I didn't "choose" the subject in the first place. Some concepts are interesting, and it isn't hard per say, but I don't need it at all.

I want to study Computer Science at university, but apart from a few unis, most of them require Mathematics A level. Even my previous and amazing CS teacher remarked that I should have done Maths. I don't completely need it, but it would help me on the course a lot and be more beneficial than Sociology at least.

Do you guys think I should coach myself the GCSE to grade A standards and then go back to the A level course? Is it possible for me to catch up and then continue in time to get a decent grade? For the record, motivation itself shouldn't be an issue because I learned the entire CS GCSE syllabus in a single year and still got an 8 (again, credit to my teacher). The issue is more to do with difficulty and content.

Any responses and advice are much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Met3oR2
So basically, I started to do Mathematics A level in September, first year, 12. However, I eventually got my butt kicked off the course in late September as I got a 6 in the GCSE but I wasn't very good as I hadn't gotten much good support in Maths in the GCSE (different school). My new school couldn't offer Economics A level this year as the teacher was pregnant (ffs) so I had to do Sociology instead.

So firstly, and I don't completely hate the subject, but I don't need Sociology compared to any of my future career paths, including computing. And secondly, it's an essay subject, and though I would continue it, the essays are very tiring and studying is demotivating since I didn't "choose" the subject in the first place. Some concepts are interesting, and it isn't hard per say, but I don't need it at all.

I want to study Computer Science at university, but apart from a few unis, most of them require Mathematics A level. Even my previous and amazing CS teacher remarked that I should have done Maths. I don't completely need it, but it would help me on the course a lot and be more beneficial than Sociology at least.

Do you guys think I should coach myself the GCSE to grade A standards and then go back to the A level course? Is it possible for me to catch up and then continue in time to get a decent grade? For the record, motivation itself shouldn't be an issue because I learned the entire CS GCSE syllabus in a single year and still got an 8 (again, credit to my teacher). The issue is more to do with difficulty and content.

Any responses and advice are much appreciated :smile:

Hi, I’m also studying A-level maths and an in my second year. At GCSE I found maths very easy and achieved a grade 8 despite not having very consistent teaching so I chose it at A-level expecting it to achieve a good grade.

I thought maths at A-level would be harder but without actually studying it, it’s kind of impossible to understand how difficult it really is. The depth that some subjects go into, especially in year 13, for example trigonometry and integration, is sooo complicated and I think you need brilliant teaching, good motivation and a lot of time and practice to fully understand it all, I think even a tutor is needed for top grades. So I would say that it will be very very difficult to teach yourself any of it, even the year 12 content and if you don’t understand it properly then going into year 13 will be completely pointless as you constantly rely on previous content- GCSE ability and knowledge must be perfect too.

Without good teaching of subjects and time to understand how to approach questions I think you’ll always be behind and the last thing you want is to be in a position in year 13 where you might not get 3 A-levels because that completely ruins your chances of university. I’ve just received my uni offers and they all just state what grades I need, not the subjects, and maths is the subject that I think I may struggle to achieve that grade because it’s just so difficult.

Sociology is still a respected A-level even if it does bore you a little and I’m sure it will get more difficult in year 13 so may be more interesting.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest