honeysucklestars
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I went straight from Year 11 to a HR apprenticeship (Business Admin L2 with possible L3) with a university. At first I didn't mind it and at first things were quite interesting, but it's become more and more tedious and frustrating as I've continued.

I am expected to do a lot of the same work as people who are a higher grade than me and the office culture is toxic. Everybody hates it and their managers and will actively talk down on their jobs instead of trying to find something different.

People delegate their work to me when they don't want to do it - they say they're busy to my manager when he defends me but then complain about lack of work. I feel like a secretary taking everybody's calls when they don't want to. I work in a service center so when I take their calls they expect me to be able to answer queries that are about £10k above my pay grade.

I'm thinking of resigning in July/August and applying to a Deloitte apprenticeship but I'm not sure. I travel for 3 hours a day (there and back) to get to work. Can anybody give me some advice on this?
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by honeysucklestars)
I went straight from Year 11 to a HR apprenticeship (Business Admin L2 with possible L3) with a university. At first I didn't mind it and at first things were quite interesting, but it's become more and more tedious and frustrating as I've continued.

I am expected to do a lot of the same work as people who are a higher grade than me and the office culture is toxic. Everybody hates it and their managers and will actively talk down on their jobs instead of trying to find something different.

People delegate their work to me when they don't want to do it - they say they're busy to my manager when he defends me but then complain about lack of work. I feel like a secretary taking everybody's calls when they don't want to. I work in a service center so when I take their calls they expect me to be able to answer queries that are about £10k above my pay grade.

I'm thinking of resigning in July/August and applying to a Deloitte apprenticeship but I'm not sure. I travel for 3 hours a day (there and back) to get to work. Can anybody give me some advice on this?
Business Admin is not a HR apprenticeship.

https://www.managers.org.uk/~/media/...Frameworks.pdf

Instead of putting you on a level 3 HR support apprenticeship they just put you on a business admin apprenticeship within a HR role. Lots of ****ty places do this. They'll put you through level 2 and then level 3 so they can harvest their levy allowance. Your situation sounds like what many office apprentices find themselves in - people recognise you can get work done so they start offloading their work onto you. It's not ideal. Finish your level 2 at least then apply for a proper apprenticeship in HR. I wouldn't reccomend staying there much longer, ensure you get your qual though.

What's the wage on the Deloitte apprenticeship, I assume they pay above national min for apprentice? Have you done the calculations with regards to how much the commute will set you back vs the salary?
xannypunanny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by honeysucklestars)

Hi OP

You don't sound happy in your apprenticeship and the poster below says that you are not getting the qualifications you should be getting. If that's true and if I were in your position I would leave and find something I'd enjoy, sponsors the right qualifications and pays well. I think Deloitte (and the other big 4) would be a great place to apply for an apprenticeship and I did apply there myself when I was in school.

Are you saying you currently commute 3 hours a day to get to your HR apprenticeship place of work or that you would have to commute 3 hours a day to get to Deloitte? If the latter than as below poster says, maybe run something through the calculator? Or maybe consider moving out and living closer?

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to have a chat about it.

Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads