ishani_patel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What are the residential post offer days like or the evening meal at Durham University? Is it worth going?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ishani_patel)
What are the residential post offer days like or the evening meal at Durham University? Is it worth going?
From what I remember, you arrive, get shown to your room and stuff then we met the others who were staying. Then we went and made a dinner (but I'm at a self catered college, most you'll get just fed!) and got to know some of the reps who were with us. Then we had something in subject groups (we had a quiz, but it'll likely be different every year/college) and then entertainment for the evening. In the morning we had breakfast and went to subject talks with others from our subject.
Sounds a lot more boring when I put it like that though! Personally, I hadn't seen my college on the open day, so it was really valuable to see that and meet some people already there. It also meant when I arrived in September I knew some names/faces which made it a lot less scary even if I'm not particularly close friends with any of them now. For me it was totally worth it for that alone and also I don't think I'd have been happy to firm it if I hadn't seen it as I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to do so anyway. So from that perspective it probably completely changed my uni choice!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Each college has a different plan of events which showcase the feel of the college. All the catered colleges include an evening meal and breakfast in the overnight stay. These book up fast especially at the smaller colleges St Johns / Chads/ Trevs as they only use a proportion of the rooms so dont have that many available. If you dont get to have a room to stay overnight you can still do the day visit plus evening meal but you would have to book your own accommodation elsewhere ( possibly expensive) if you can't get transport home early evening time. Last year they showed you to your room, did a quick tour of the city and university buildings. College introduction meeting, dinner followed by in college activities. After breakfast the next day sample lectures with your department and then back to college to say goodbye and get your things. It was well worth the expense as gave a real flavour for college life. It really helps a friend didn't click with her allocated college so went elsewhere as she was torn between the 2 unis anyway but the experience made daughter firm the offer as she loved the college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (252)
34.01%
No (489)
65.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise