A Level Latin or A Level Classical Greek?

Watch
aventine
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I can choose either, but I will be self-teaching until I take the exam in the next 2 and a half years.

I have a little familiarity with both languages, though I will be honest and say that my passion lies with Classical Greek. I find Latin too political at times (don't bother with the 'oh, but have you forgotten about Athens?'--I have not), not to mention militant. I have always found the Greeks to be more spiritual and lively, more passionate themselves.

But Classical Greek is insanely difficult. It really is. Especially since I am an English native.

I have over two years to learn either, but it will be at A Level that I will be taking the exam. Is this sufficient time to learn? Am I shooting myself in the foot? How difficult will the exam be?

I know most would advise to go with Latin first since it is easiest, but I don't want to pick something just because it's easy. I want to read Greek more than Latin, but I would still appreciate some advice in that area.

Thanks all!
Advertisement
FionaMacrae
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It's true that it is easier to do Greek with Latin alongside, but it isn't impossible without. I know at least 2 people who are doing Greek without Latin. If you have the determination to do it, you definitely can. However if you choose to do latin, there are ways you can keep up to speed on Greek, such as summer schools like JACT Greek Summer School and the KCL Classics summer school, where you get put into small groups based in ability and you are taught by a professional. These summer schools also have courses for Latin, so it works either way!

Best of luck, whatever you decide x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (702)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (883)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.44%

Watched Threads