Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff university Occupational therapy

Has anyone else got an offer for OT, or studying OT at Cardiff ?? :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DI9010
Has anyone else got an offer for OT, or studying OT at Cardiff ?? :/

Heya I got an email for an interview. Have you heard anything yet?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
yea I got an offer, i had my interview in January

Original post by bellesm321
Heya I got an email for an interview. Have you heard anything yet?
Original post by DI9010
yea I got an offer, i had my interview in January

Congratulations! How did you find the interview? What was it like?
Reply 4
It was good. There was a group discussion first where you had to discuss a senario as a group. When your doing the group discussion, make sure you talk lots dont be shy. Then there are mini interviews where you read the question given then give ur awnser to the person.
Original post by DI9010
It was good. There was a group discussion first where you had to discuss a senario as a group. When your doing the group discussion, make sure you talk lots dont be shy. Then there are mini interviews where you read the question given then give ur awnser to the person.

Perfect thanks so much that’s good to know? Did you have like a one to one interview where they asked you like why you wanted to study to be an OT etc?
Reply 6
There was one where they asked that, but the rest are quite random which is good because everyone has the same chance because you cant practice for them. Like one was were you watched a video and tell them what you thought.
Original post by DI9010
There was one where they asked that, but the rest are quite random which is good because everyone has the same chance because you cant practice for them. Like one was were you watched a video and tell them what you thought.

Perfect nice to know thanks very much
Reply 8
Original post by bellesm321
Perfect nice to know thanks very much

No problem, good luck with it xx
Reply 9
Hi guys, current OT student @ Cardiff here. I'm on the PGdip course but the interview process if the same. As already explained the interview process is comprised of a group discussion on a case study (you will be provided this before the interview) and multi-mini interviews (basically 'speed dating' style interview - a few mins to read the question before a few mins with the interviewer before a bell sounds and you move onto the next station). I think it's important to remember that with the case study they really aren't assessing your ability or skills as an OT per say (after all learning the theory is what they teach you at uni) - it's more about how you act in a group dynamic. The course @ Cardiff is entirely taught through problem-based-learning which I really recommend you read up on as they tend to ask about it in the MM interviews and can be quite a challenging (although very effective) way of learning so it's important you think it is a style that would suit you. PBL is all about group work, so in the case study discussion I would try to avoid dominating the discussion or simply waiting for the person speaking to finish you can say your bit. When you are qualified you will work in multidisciplinary teams so it is a skill they really value. Really try and engage in a conversation with the other interviewees and maybe try to incorporate quieter members of the group in the discussion by asking what they think and listen and reflect on what people are saying during the discussion. With the MM interviews, my only advice would be to read up on the philosophy of OT - client-centeredness, how humans are occupational beings, how meaningful occupation contributes to overall health and well being and also current ideas in health and social care such as dignity and equality. Maybe also try to think of some meaningful occupations you have yourself and how your life would be different if you couldn't fully engage with them. My main advice is to not stress! OTs are lovely people (and the majority of the interviewers will be OTs) and although interviews are very stressful, just try and let your compassion, empathy and openness shine as these are the main qualities they look for and the rest can be learnt (but do make sure you read up about PBL - they want you to really understand what that is!) Also if your interview is in the TDS building I would recommend getting there a bit early as the building is a bit of a faff to find rooms in. If you need help - the reception is located on the first floor and not the basement as advertised. Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by balys
Hi guys, current OT student @ Cardiff here. I'm on the PGdip course but the interview process if the same. As already explained the interview process is comprised of a group discussion on a case study (you will be provided this before the interview) and multi-mini interviews (basically 'speed dating' style interview - a few mins to read the question before a few mins with the interviewer before a bell sounds and you move onto the next station). I think it's important to remember that with the case study they really aren't assessing your ability or skills as an OT per say (after all learning the theory is what they teach you at uni) - it's more about how you act in a group dynamic. The course @ Cardiff is entirely taught through problem-based-learning which I really recommend you read up on as they tend to ask about it in the MM interviews and can be quite a challenging (although very effective) way of learning so it's important you think it is a style that would suit you. PBL is all about group work, so in the case study discussion I would try to avoid dominating the discussion or simply waiting for the person speaking to finish you can say your bit. When you are qualified you will work in multidisciplinary teams so it is a skill they really value. Really try and engage in a conversation with the other interviewees and maybe try to incorporate quieter members of the group in the discussion by asking what they think and listen and reflect on what people are saying during the discussion. With the MM interviews, my only advice would be to read up on the philosophy of OT - client-centeredness, how humans are occupational beings, how meaningful occupation contributes to overall health and well being and also current ideas in health and social care such as dignity and equality. Maybe also try to think of some meaningful occupations you have yourself and how your life would be different if you couldn't fully engage with them. My main advice is to not stress! OTs are lovely people (and the majority of the interviewers will be OTs) and although interviews are very stressful, just try and let your compassion, empathy and openness shine as these are the main qualities they look for and the rest can be learnt (but do make sure you read up about PBL - they want you to really understand what that is!) Also if your interview is in the TDS building I would recommend getting there a bit early as the building is a bit of a faff to find rooms in. If you need help - the reception is located on the first floor and not the basement as advertised. Good luck!

NB - a good way to understand the group discussion aspect of the interview is that it is collaboration rather than a competition. Also, after competing a few placements I do think OT is an interesting and exciting area of health and social care. You really do make such a difference to people's lives and it is so rewarding. There is a (admittedly cheesy) saying that doctors add days to life but OTs add life to days. On a more cynical level OT is an career that will see so many opportunities for the practitioner as more emphasis is placed on individuals living independently and quality of life rather than just 'surviving' and individuals being viewed in more holistic sense, providing more role emerging opportunists. OTs really do bridge the gap between healthcare and social care. It's an exciting and fulfilling career to pursue, only downside is that it has one of the ugliest uniforms; ugh green trousers (comfy though)
Original post by balys
NB - a good way to understand the group discussion aspect of the interview is that it is collaboration rather than a competition. Also, after competing a few placements I do think OT is an interesting and exciting area of health and social care. You really do make such a difference to people's lives and it is so rewarding. There is a (admittedly cheesy) saying that doctors add days to life but OTs add life to days. On a more cynical level OT is an career that will see so many opportunities for the practitioner as more emphasis is placed on individuals living independently and quality of life rather than just 'surviving' and individuals being viewed in more holistic sense, providing more role emerging opportunists. OTs really do bridge the gap between healthcare and social care. It's an exciting and fulfilling career to pursue, only downside is that it has one of the ugliest uniforms; ugh green trousers (comfy though)

Thanks again for all this! Just going over again as got my interview this week. Very grateful for the advice :smile:
Original post by balys

Hi there!

Thank you so much for posting on here its so useful! I am going back to uni after several years to study the pgdip OT in cardiff uni. I was wondering if you could help me with some things, ive been going through so many pages and emailed so many people but not many can help me.

On SFW it says you cannot have any help towards the course because it is a pgdip and getting the NHS bursary, have you found this to be the case with yourself? (because lets face it the nhs bursary barely covers rent :frown:)

I know youve mentioned that the placements are in South Wales, Is this the whole of south wales? so, for example, I could get a placement in Fishguard or Pembrokeshire or Carmarthen or are they localized to southeast wales (so Newport, Cardiff, Torfaen the valleys etc?)

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Reply 13
Original post by balys

Hiya, I've just been offered a place on the PgDip course for 2020. I won't be able to attend the offer holder day as it has been cancelled due to recent events :frown: Do you mind me asking what you did for accommodation and how/when you applied for funding? Or any other tips you think might be useful!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! xx
Reply 14
Original post by LauPsych
Hi there!

Thank you so much for posting on here its so useful! I am going back to uni after several years to study the pgdip OT in cardiff uni. I was wondering if you could help me with some things, ive been going through so many pages and emailed so many people but not many can help me.

On SFW it says you cannot have any help towards the course because it is a pgdip and getting the NHS bursary, have you found this to be the case with yourself? (because lets face it the nhs bursary barely covers rent :frown:)

I know youve mentioned that the placements are in South Wales, Is this the whole of south wales? so, for example, I could get a placement in Fishguard or Pembrokeshire or Carmarthen or are they localized to southeast wales (so Newport, Cardiff, Torfaen the valleys etc?)

Thank you

Hiya,
Congrats on getting your place!
I am also planning on studying the pgdip next was wondering if you have found any extra information about finances? I am planning on taking out a loan with student finance but I am also a bit confused as to whether I'll be funded! On the Cardiff website it says that as long as your first degree is in a non-healthcare related subject then you are eligible for student finance (which I think is funded like an undergrad). The only exceptions seem to be if you are from northern Ireland or Scotland. So if you are welsh or English you should be okay? This is from the Cardiff website:

'If you have studied previously in higher education, this may affect your eligibility and entitlement for further funding via Student Finance. Your eligibility for further funding will depend on where you normally live in the UK.

Students from England with a first degree on a non-NHS funded course are eligible to apply for further funding via Student Finance England to study healthcare course at Cardiff University listed in the introduction (pgdip is listed in the intro).

If you are from Northern Ireland or Scotland and have studied previously in higher education, please check with your funding authority about your eligibility for further funding.

As part of your online application through Student Finance, you will be asked about any study you've undertaken previously in higher education'

Hope this helps a bit! I plan to contact Cardiff and Student finance ASAP to confirm :smile:
Hi, I’ve had an offer for OT from Cardiff and placed it as my firm.
Original post by LauPsych
Hi there!

Thank you

Hi,

On the Cardiff Uni Pre-Reg OT page it says there's a full NHS bursary available, covering tuition fees and living costs - is this not the case? Or do you mean even with this you'd need more money to pay rent etc? I guess you'll have to start saving money now ready for Sept as I've heard its quite a full on course so difficult to have a part time job during the course :| Although it does also say if you're doing the course as a MSc you may be eligible for post grad student finance help?

I didn't even consider that placements may be that far away! The course page says "across Wales" so I guess you could be anywhere. Although someone did say on a thread I've made about OT that they do try and accommodate for people who do not want to move homes for their placements :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ConfusedPsych
Hi,

On the Cardiff Uni Pre-Reg OT page it says there's a full NHS bursary available, covering tuition fees and living costs - is this not the case? Or do you mean even with this you'd need more money to pay rent etc? I guess you'll have to start saving money now ready for Sept as I've heard its quite a full on course so difficult to have a part time job during the course :| Although it does also say if you're doing the course as a MSc you may be eligible for post grad student finance help?

I didn't even consider that placements may be that far away! The course page says "across Wales" so I guess you could be anywhere. Although someone did say on a thread I've made about OT that they do try and accommodate for people who do not want to move homes for their placements :smile:

The NHS bursary is only available if you agree to work in wales for two years after the course, if your from wales thats perfect, if not it might not be an option
Hi! Current occupational therapy student studying at Cardiff here.I'm unsure on students from Wales but would assume it's the same as for those in England. You have the choice between the NHS Bursary (topped up by a reduced maintenance loan by student finance) or full Student Finance funding. If you choose the NHS Bursary route you have to commit to working in Wales for 2 years after you graduate (for the Bsc that is- I think it may be 18 months for PGDip).How much you will get will depend on household income etc, and I think what route you take. I took the student finance route as I didn't want to commit to living and working in Wales- because I'm over 25 I'm classed as independent by student finance and so only my income is taken into account, meaning I get the full loan amount. Cardiff Uni also award a bursary to those whose household income is below £35k a year (I think) but that's done automatically by the Uni.
Reply 19
Hi! I'm a recent history graduate and I was hoping to apply for September 2021. I graduated with a 2:1 (It was only 60% however) and I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive it was to get into Cardiff-- or what their grades were when applying/being accepted? It's my dream school but I'm worried my grades are too low (and that history isn't relevant enough for the course), and I don't want to get my hopes up if it's unlikely for me to get accepted. Thank you in advance, I really appreciated it, it'd be so helpful! :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest