Trevor51
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My son is on his fisrt year and is sending me some forms to complete where I would act as guarantor should he not pay his rent next year.
I am retired on state pension with very limited means where as his mother is working. I am concerned that I would be in less of a position to pay my son's rent sthan he is should he default.
What can be done in this situation.
adelinabugaja
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if he doesn't have a job to pay his rent maybe he should start looking for one as it's not good to rely on your parents, it would put you at disadvantage money wise. He should definitely pay his rent, if not maybe the finance team can help with something for his accommodation.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Trevor51)
My son is on his fisrt year and is sending me some forms to complete where I would act as guarantor should he not pay his rent next year.
I am retired on state pension with very limited means where as his mother is working. I am concerned that I would be in less of a position to pay my son's rent sthan he is should he default.
What can be done in this situation.
All depends how well you know and trust your son.
You are signing up for a potential liability.
Is he likely to stiff you?
You are also liable no matter what the reason for not paying the rent, so he could fail exams, get ill or become homesick so leave. In those events student finance will cease as soon as he stops being a student. The only way to avoid the liability is if your son finds a replacement.
The odds on such events happening are low, but they happen every year.

Have you talked to him about it and asked him why he isnt asking his mother to be guarantor?
If you arent comfortable with it, then talk to him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
23.88%
No, but I have thought about it (56)
27.86%
No (97)
48.26%

Watched Threads