KappaKappa415
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Basically I want to apply for this acting audition and I fit all the requirements but they want a stoke accent or similar and I have no clue what that is/how to do it. I’m from Nottingham so I assume it isn’t he same so any help would be appreciated
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It’s apparently one of the hardest accents to do. Some people mistake it for Liverpool but really it’s nothing like apart from the oo Sound. I slip in and out of potteries but I couldn’t tell anyone how to do it.

The casting has been very widely distributed in stoke where there is a lot of interest in theatre and performing.
jordanj_01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, northerner here. Unfortunately not from Stoke as I'm a true northerner and come from up past Manny (that's Manchester for all you southern lot). I current do MT at Bird and live with a girl from Stoke.

Massive things I've noticed from Stokies, is words with a double 'O' like cook, book, look, cookies, etc. How everyone else says it, they'll pronounce it as an 'uh', people from Stoke say 'ew' for example, 'lewk', 'cewkies', 'bewk' which is essentially the same sound you'd make when saying 'spooky'.

Scran is a universal northern word for food if you didn't already know please use it all the time.

"Eyy up duck" is a phrase they're all born with.

Missing out most prepositions in sentences
Others: I want to go down there again
Stoke: I want go down there again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tWgjFiB4to
That videos funny so I recommend lol

Hope this mildly helped
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
We don’t say scran in Stoke. I think that’s more of a Liverpool thing but yes to duck. And it’s always going up ‘anley duck (even if technically you are travelling down/south!

We say conna (can’t) wunna (won’t) Cost thee (can you) thee costna (you can’t) reyt (right) and feyther (father)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
18.94%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.94%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.5%

Watched Threads