laurenmn1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello! I’m planning on making Warwick my firm choice for 2020 entry, and was wondering about parking? I live about 4 hours away from Warwick, and the train services involve at least 2 changes, and from the sounds of it would be super inconvenient so really I want my car so I can visit home, and potentially commute for a part time job off campus. I’ve also heard the bus services aren’t fantastic. Is this at all feasible? I’ve looked into the parking permits on campus, but does anyone know of any other parking nearby? Doesn’t have to be free
Warwick Business School
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by laurenmn1)
Hello! I’m planning on making Warwick my firm choice for 2020 entry, and was wondering about parking? I live about 4 hours away from Warwick, and the train services involve at least 2 changes, and from the sounds of it would be super inconvenient so really I want my car so I can visit home, and potentially commute for a part time job off campus. I’ve also heard the bus services aren’t fantastic. Is this at all feasible? I’ve looked into the parking permits on campus, but does anyone know of any other parking nearby? Doesn’t have to be free
Hello laurenmn1

Congratulations on your offer, it is great to see that you are planning to make Warwick your firm choice!

Parking is quite limited for students on campus and students are actively encouraged to either walk, cycle or use public transport. There are a few pay and display car parks for students to park in on campus but these do become full quite quickly. Are you planning to live on or off-campus? If you can let me know where you are planning to live we may be able to suggest some alternative options for you.

Thanks!
Francesca
laurenmn1
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying! I was planning on living on campus, but if there are similarly priced options with better parking availability off campus, I’m open to the idea. Thanks!
Warwick Business School
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks for replying! I was planning on living on campus, but if there are similarly priced options with better parking availability off campus, I’m open to the idea. Thanks!
Hi laurenmn1

Have you applied for a postgraduate or undergraduate course at Warwick?

Thanks,
Francesca
laurenmn1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Warwick Business School)
Hi laurenmn1

Have you applied for a postgraduate or undergraduate course at Warwick?

Thanks,
Francesca
Undergrad x
Warwick Business School
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Undergrad x
Hi laurenmn1

As you are undergraduate planning on living on campus my advice would be to not bring your car with you during your first year as there is no parking available at the student accommodation on campus. The campus has great transport links to the surrounding towns and cities so I wouldn't worry about not being able to get around.

If you then decide to live off-campus in your second year, you could then look at bringing your car with you. I hope that helps and if you need any further information please let me know

Francesca
Last edited by Warwick Business School; 8 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
laurenmn1

As a current student that has tried all different possible methods of transport, I'll give you the reality of transport at Warwick uni, from a non-biased perspective (I'm not trying to sugarcoat it). Parking on campus is extremely expensive and hard to find, and unless you're wealthy (and don't mind paying £4+ for a day), I wouldn't bother. Also, if you plan on paying for parking on campus, make sure you get there well before 9AM. I drive to campus (park nearby) and I've seen car parks become full as early as 7:45 AM. Stay away from them if you're not prepared to spend a LOT of money. The permits are very hard to get, and are basically out of the question for most students. Only staff and a few Msc/PhD students get them.

Your best bet is to park near the campus somewhere. The trick is to know which areas you can get away with parking at for long time periods, and without any parking charges. I'd advise scouting out the area in depth before you commit. Have at least 2 independent backup parking areas, otherwise you'll end up driving around for hours and wasting fuel and time when one car park/area is full. Also, hopefully you like walking and/or cycling (even parking on campus means a long walk between places). If you're only coming in for 2 hours or so, you can park at Tesco for 3 hours, free of charge. Bear in mind that the nearby A45, A46 and other roads get very busy during peak times (any time between 6-9AM, and any time after 3PM).

And if you decide that it's too much effort to drive in, think VERY carefully before you commit to using the train every day. Great Western Railway and Virgin Rail are terrible in general. I did this for a while, but be warned that the only nearby stations are Canley and Tile Hill (both are a good 25-30+ minute walk to get to). The main issue with getting the train is that the delays are absolutely disgraceful, and are literally a daily occurrence. Early in the morning, it isn't bad to be fair, but the later it is in the day, the more terrible it can be. On a good day, you'll only have to wait an extra 10 minutes; on a bad day, you'll have to wait over an hour. Sometimes all trains are entirely cancelled. The uni loves to boast "excellent campus transport links", which in reality is just a small taxi rank and about 6 different bus stops; the nearest train station is a very long walk away. The uni is close to both the A45 and A46, but this means nothing to most students. If you're thinking about using the bus, all I can say is be prepared to stand near the taxi rank on campus for a long time every day, especially if you're leaving during peak times. The journey can be over an hour if you're travelling to Leamington (or even just to Coventry somewhere).

On the plus side however, there are dozens of Ubers driving around the campus basically 24/7. I reckon that some of them make their entire income just from driving students around. So thumbs up if you like paying some Uber driver a lot of money to get to a nearby location.

Hopefully this can be useful to some person that may read this years from now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (636)
49.07%

Watched Threads